We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone hired a Car and Driver for a day?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic

Has anyone hired a Car and Driver in Paris for a day to transport you where ever you wish?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
517 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone hired a Car and Driver for a day?

Maybe there are, but there is a good chance most people will suggest using the excellent metro system (whose station density is 2 to 3 times higher than in London), with possibly cabs for the few distrits which are further out

Tom

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone hired a Car and Driver for a day?

I would be the second to recommend the metro system. It's probably a lot more efficient and faster than a car would be.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone hired a Car and Driver for a day?

Thanks for your replies.

I know the transport system is quick and efficient but we wish to travel further afield than Paris - about a 180 mile round trip.

And don't want to mess about changing from one type of transport (Metro, train, bus, etc) - that's why I'm asking the question.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone hired a Car and Driver for a day?

We have, we hired Sabine from Paris Authentique - http://paris.authentique.free.fr/

We just used her for half a day around Paris, but I know she does full day and multi day trips as well. You can either do one of her tours, or organise whatever trip you want, which is what we did.

We were very happy with her services.

Deb

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone hired a Car and Driver for a day?

djh1 - thanks.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,991 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone hired a Car and Driver for a day?

Keith - they do exist, but most trips outside of Paris are better done by train simply because train is a lot quicker and a lot cheaper. If you caught a TGV to where you want to go and were met at the station you would avoid a couple of hours of sitting in a car on the Autoroute.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone hired a Car and Driver for a day?

The journey involves an early start taking the Metro from the Hotel to Gard du Nord, train to a town about 30 miles from the destination, change trains to take us another 20 miles, and then probably a taxi for the final 10 miles if no other local transport is available.

An hour or two at the destination and then the return trip.

A hired car from the Hotel directly to the destination seems a much more hassle free option - although possibly, but not necessarily, dearer.

Which would you rather do?

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,991 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone hired a Car and Driver for a day?

I didn't realise you had a specific destination in mind - if you tell us WHERE it is youre trying to get to, we may be able to help you with suggestions.

9. Re: Anyone hired a Car and Driver for a day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 06:15