We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rick Steves travel classes on youtube

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Rick Steves travel classes on youtube

Whether or not you are a fan of Rick Steves, he now has a series of videos on Youtube for travel to various locations as well as one on packing lights. Here's the info:

A couple of weeks ago we tried something for the first time – live streaming a full day of free travel classes to our friends on Facebook. It was a rousing success, with more than 14,000 people tuning in from all around the world to get savvy travel tips from the best teachers on my staff.

By popular demand, we’ve archived each of these classes on YouTube, so you can watch and learn at your convenience. They range from 1 to 1½ hours long, and you’ll find them on my YouTube Channel at www.youtube.com/ricksteves

France Travel Skills with Steve Smith

Ireland Travel Skills with Pat O’Connor

Packing Light & Right with Joan Robinson

Italy Travel Skills with Heidi Van Sewell

Michelangelo’s Italy with Gene Openshaw

I hope watching these classes helps fuel your travel dreams — and teaches you some practical, money-saving skills as well.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,266 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rick Steves travel classes on youtube

Rick Steves sounds like a cult!!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rick Steves travel classes on youtube

Bean A -- ha ha, I guess so. But a rather benign cult.....

For those of us who are seasoned travelers, his info probably is not anything new. However, given the number of first time travelers to France on this forum, and the long thread about packing lightly, I thought I'd share.

I have not yet watched the France class but did start the packing light. Some good tips - again nothing really new. But at least it's a visual that may help others. Of course there's some promotion of RS luggage but I must say I do like the backpack that is made of microfiber and can easily be rolled up into a suitcase for use later. I'm considering it as my shopping bag while in Paris for a month. Climbing up to the 5th floor will be a lot easier with everything on my back rather than in my hands.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rick Steves travel classes on youtube

At least he doesn't sound bitter and mean

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
383 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rick Steves travel classes on youtube

I am a pretty seasoned traveler, but I still find Rick Steve's and his travel information to be very useful. His app for iOS called "Audio Europe 2012" is particularly useful, even for the most seasoned travelers, as he has many free audio guides for different sights and walks across Europe. Very useful IMHO.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rick Steves travel classes on youtube

I agree Brendenp, I can usually get a few good tips. I've already downloaded his walking tours for Paris as well as the accompanying maps. I like the idea of walking and hearing the history on my own and not having to refer to a guidebook all the time. Of course, I may also take a guided walking tour but I've got a start with his podcasts.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
367 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rick Steves travel classes on youtube

As long as you recognize that where Rick goes, crowds are sure to follow. If that's okay, then enjoy his writings.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
367 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rick Steves travel classes on youtube

As long as you recognize that where Rick goes, crowds are sure to follow. If that's okay, then enjoy his writings.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
980 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rick Steves travel classes on youtube

I'm a big Rick Steves fan ... been watching his show on PBS for years.

We just got back from a 10 day trip - 5 days in Paris and 5 days in Rome. While we didn't do everything from the RS guidebooks, we did quite a bit! It was really fun walking around town with the blue and gold RS books and running into others who were following the same RS tour! Struck up a conversation with a lady from OKC at the Arc de Triumph in Paris. In Rome, I was reading a snippit from my guide book to my traveling companion ... a few minutes later we heard someone else read the same paragraph to his companion!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rick Steves travel classes on youtube

I've been traveling internationally for nearly 35 years so I guess I am seasoned and I still buy Rick Steves' books for all my European travels. Excellent info. I got so much more out of the Cluny museum this past January reading his excerpts on it than I would have without it. And he had info on his Montmartre walking tour that my live guide did not include. (The live guide was more interested in "Ameile" -- yawn -- than in the great artists who called Montmartre home!)

And yes he's a friendly and personable guy. I like 'im :)

10. Re: Rick Steves travel classes on youtube

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 16:41