We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Porte Maillot to Gare de Lyons to St Germ to Disney

Dublin
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
From Porte Maillot to Gare de Lyons to St Germ to Disney

With the help of earlier advice on this forum I've narrowed my itinerary for our 7 hours in Paris down and now just want to check a couple of things and get advice on transport issues. We are a family of five with 3 kids 4 7 and 9 and will use a buggy for the youngest.

1. We arrive into Porte Maillot from Beauvais airport next Sunday about 11amish. After some lunch we'll head to off load our luggage (carry on only) in Gare de Lyons (I think they have storage there). My question on this is how best to travel from Porte maillot to the station from point of view of cost scenery convenience etc.

2.From Gare de Lyons I'm thinking we will head for St Germain area and walk around there see Notre Dame seine and other sights within walking distance. My question is how best to get from Gare de Lyons to St Germain/Notre dame - bus/metro etc, and which location to head for exactly within that area of Paris.

3. After spending a few hours around there, the plan is head back to Gare de lyons get our bags and head off to Disney where we are staying four nights. I think I am right that the RER for Disney goes direct from there?

4. In looking into all this, I saw taxi fare from Porte Maillot to gare de lyons advertised for €12 - maybe best option - and am wondering in general about taxis in paris for five? Are they common or cost extra?

Any help with the above would be great. Thanks

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,123 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Porte Maillot to Gare de Lyons to St Germ to Disney

I did go back and read your earlier post so that i could be informed and try to help.

i agree with the advice on the former post that this is a lot to do.

I assume you are wanting to take the RER from Gare de Lyon because it has luggage storage, correct? (Otherwise you could get on Metro line 1 at Porte Maillot and it would take you straight to the Arch de Triomphe or Louvre. That would be an ideal "straight shot," but not with luggage.)

Gare de Lyon is putting you out of the area you want to see--although maybe you could just cross the bridge to Quai Austerlitz and explore a little of the Latin Qtr?

Since you have 4 nights at Disney, would you consider one overnight in Paris?

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,123 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Porte Maillot to Gare de Lyons to St Germ to Disney

Gare de Lyon is on Metro Line 1--so if your family is up for more commuting around, you could take line 1 to, say, Louvre-Rivoli station. That would put you near the Louvre and near enough Notre Dame.

The other line at Gare de Lyon is 14, which could take you to Chatelet, also near Notre Dame. It's a big station, tho, so could be a bit confusing.

Maybe you could have some possibilities and play it by ear, depending on energy level.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Porte Maillot to Gare de Lyons to St Germ to Disney

>>>>I saw taxi fare from Porte Maillot to gare de lyons advertised for €12<<<<<

that sounds very low to go all the way across Paris -- are you sure it's correct??

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Porte Maillot to Gare de Lyons to St Germ to Disney

You will see more if you take the bus -- and the bus will be easier with the young one in the buggy. From Gare de Lyon or the Pont (bridge) d'Austerlitz you can catch the #24 bus to Notre Dame and the St. Michel area.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,123 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Porte Maillot to Gare de Lyons to St Germ to Disney

That's true--I like Maddietravel's advice about the bus.

Speaking of bus--if you take Metro line 14 from Gare de Lyon to Madeleine, you can get the 90 minute Foxity bus tour:

http://www.foxity.com/en/foxity-concept

I still think that if you can spare one night in Paris, you will get so much more out of the experience and not wear yourself out in the process.

Dublin
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Porte Maillot to Gare de Lyons to St Germ to Disney

Hi thanks for the responses so far. We are booked in to our accommodation in Disney for the four nights including Sunday so we won't do an overnighter in Paris unfortunately though I had originally thought about that for the Sunday night.

Yes I've chosen Gare de Lyons because of the luggage storage - I don't think there's a better one for us in the city centre - isn't gare du nord further away again from the area I want to explore i.e. Notre Dame St Germain? As regards my earlier post and what would ideally like to do in our time in Paris I have downsized the plans and am happy now to maybe forget about the Louvre see the Eiffel tower from a distance, visit Notre Dame and then just do a walkabout in St Germain area. If we've more energy we'll play it by ear and maybe go and see the Mona Lisa, or visit the Luxembourg gardens. I also like the idea of a bus tour and may well book the Foxity tour.

As regards getting from Porte Maillot to Gare de lyons, is there a bus instead of metro as might be easier with the kids and more scenery than the metro.

Thanks

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,123 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Porte Maillot to Gare de Lyons to St Germ to Disney

Here's a route planner:

http://www.ratp.fr/

Suggestion: Maybe head to Disney from the airport. Skip Paris on arrival day. Settle into your hotel there and have a great time.

On your last day, instead of going to Disney, get up in the morning and come to Paris. It's easy on the RER. You won't have any luggage storage issues because it will all be at your Disney hotel. You won't have any jetlag issues. You won't be as rushed and on such a strict timetable. (Since you are spending 4 nights at Disney, you wouldn't have to wait until the last day, obviously. You could choose to "break" in between.)

Spend the day in Paris. Start with your top priority (only you can decide that--Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, etc) and work your way down the imaginary list from there. Don't plan too much--you have kids, you'll need to eat and use restrooms, there will be crowds at the famous sites.

The RER A from Disney will bring you into Paris (non-stop, no rushing about), and if you exit at Charles DeGaulle Etoile you'll be at the Arc de Triomphe. If you exit Chatelet, you'll be near the Seine and Notre Dame.

Find out when the last RER back to Disney leaves. Be on it.

This "plan" also leaves you some flexibility. If you are loving Disney and don't want to give up your last day there, don't--plan Paris itself for another trip.

If you go to Paris on arrival day and rush around to commute from Porte Maillot and store luggage across town and metro/bus/walk/rush/push stroller to points of interest, you will not only give Paris short shrift, but you will also arrive at Disney extra exhausted.

Edited: 10 May 2012, 15:28
Dublin
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Porte Maillot to Gare de Lyons to St Germ to Disney

I posted on this earlier but must not have pressed 'submit' properly so here goes again... holiday has to be cancelled. my four year old developed chickenpox today and as we're supposed to fly early sunday morning don't think it'll be possible or a good idea for her or other passengers. Major bummer and my older two were devastated when i told them but not the end of the world. the travel insurance will hopefully cover the costs and hope to rebook for June. The chickenpox daughter's passport expires two days after we were supposed to return so got things moving today on her new passport and had her photo taken before the pox spots take over, she still looked hilariously miserable in it though. On the positive side, all going well and we can rebook for soon i plan to follow your advice and go direct to disney and do paris as a day trip - makes much more sense. Thanks again

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Porte Maillot to Gare de Lyons to St Germ to Disney

So sorry to hear about your daughter and her chicken pox. Probably lucky that you found out now and not on Sunday afternoon!

Hope she's feeling better soon and you can all enjoy your trip in June.

Edited: 10 May 2012, 23:03
Dublin
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Porte Maillot to Gare de Lyons to St Germ to Disney

Thanks HarleyB - that's another positive I hadn't thought of!