We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Request from a Friend

Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
451 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Request from a Friend

I will be checking out the Forum for Homeaway Rentals but I was wondering if I could get some comments on this apartments.

My friend has commented the following to me:

"As we have a young child we want to be fairly central so that if we need to retreat for a rest, our place is not far away. This seemed like a good Arrondissement but I am not sure. Your thoughts would be appreciated."

Here is the apartment:

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p387777#map

I am partial to St. Germain as I believe it is as central as you can get but I would like to help my friend with as much info as possible. I also don't want to dash her hopes with a specific place. This apartment itself looks very nice.

Thank in advance to all who reply.

PS

Paris
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Request from a Friend

It looks lovely. The only red flag for me is that there is no mention of an elevator. The fourth floor is 5 flights up, which could be a problem, especially if they have a stroller or a tired child.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Request from a Friend

Yes, Frenchtwinkie is right. When they specifically don't say there IS an elevator, that generally means there isn't one.

I think your friend is right about having a convenient place to get to when the young one gets tired. I think you can do better...

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Request from a Friend

I'm confused shouldn't the fourth floor be four flights of stairs? If the first floor is one flight and the second floor is two flights and so on?

How can there be five flights of stairs?

California
Level Contributor
6,090 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Request from a Friend

Four flights--Frenchtwinkie just miscalculated ;) But I agree that no mention of an elevator is a sure indication that there isn't one, and with a little one, I wouldn't want to be up that many flights. The area is fine tho--maybe a little commercial tho, depending on the particular street.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,456 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Request from a Friend

an American fourth floor would be 3 flights of stairs -- a European fourth floor is 4 flights -- so there was a miscount but the point for Americans is that each floor in Europe is one more than they might expect

and they ALWAYS mention the elevator if there is one -- lots of buildings don't have them

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,189 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Request from a Friend

I would not describe the location as "in the heart of the Marais"...

With 45m2, know that the space looks far larger in those photos with hardwood floors and minimal furnishings than in reality. A couple used to a king or queen bed at home may find that double bed beyond cozy. I'm not a fan of those tiny showers and that one looks particularly awkward (note shape and size compared to toilet).

To "retreat for a rest" may not be convenient or practical due to metro connections, along with four flights of stairs.

With a child, it is often preferable to use the buses rather than the metro, and the bus routes in that location are not all that convenient, either, due to all the one-way routes.

Would agree your friend should keep looking. Urge not to get overly excited about any one feature when looking, in this case the cute child's room.

Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
451 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Request from a Friend

Thanks to all for your comments, always right on the money as usual.

As it turns out this apartment was not available for the time my friend needs it for so her search continues.

Thanks again.

PS

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Request from a Friend

ParisSurprise, we rented a large one bedroom in the upper Marais in November 2010, from Centreparis, and we were quite pleased with it.

It's on the first floor, so only one flight of stairs, but there is an elevator. It backs onto the courtyard, so it's nice and quiet. There's a laundromat next door, and it's just a minute's walk from Filles de Calvaires metro stop. There was also a little parkette with playground equipment just across from the metro stop.

The downside, not knowing your friend's child's age, is that it's a shower and not a bathtub, so that might not work.

Here's a link to my (overly) detailed review:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k405673…

9. Re: Request from a Friend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 07:42