We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

our teens meeting local teens

CA
Level Contributor
472 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
our teens meeting local teens

We are a family from California, arriving the evening of 17 Aug. We have the next day, and are leaving 19 Aug early morning.

My 16 year old teens want to see the main sites, but would also like to meet local teens (with parents) maybe for lunch, to tour with, or to just get together for a quick meet up. Is this possible?

Also, any recvommendations for a one day itinerary? We are high energy, so will fit in as much as possible.

Thanks!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,100 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: our teens meeting local teens

Absolutely doubt this unless you have some friends who have friends in Paris and will arrange a meeting. Its not easy to break into the french social scene,, and your scenerio is almost impossible, one day visit,, nope, ain't gonna happen unless someone knows someone who would arrange that..

Also just as aside,, since you are going in August,, many locals may be on vacation themselves,,not all ( no, Paris does not close down,lol) but I know my relatives leave town every summer( being retired they leave for june-sept)

Just go and enjoy Paris,, your visit is so short,, you won't have time to see all,, or even most of the main tourist sites,, you may get to see 2-3.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,820 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: our teens meeting local teens

You will barely have time to see any sights in Paris. There will be no time at all for meeting locals. And French people are much more reserved and much slower to make friends (although they tend to be more loyal friends once friendship is established), so casual one-day meetings with local teens are essentially out of the question.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
385 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: our teens meeting local teens

If they have the usual 300+ 'friends' on Facebook, they could send out a message to someone who may know someone in Paris, then they could converse beforehand & arrange something.- I think this is your only hope.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: our teens meeting local teens

Good idea Cathy.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: our teens meeting local teens

But do be careful if you do use Facebook for a 'meet-up.'

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: our teens meeting local teens

Well obviously the call would go out and then the "meet up" would be organised privately.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,507 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: our teens meeting local teens

>>casual one-day meetings with local teens are essentially out of the question.<<

I would have thought that, if they were of different genders, you would need a crowbar to prise them apart.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: our teens meeting local teens

Sydneynick is right - There won't be any problem for 2 16-year old girls to meet French teens. The problems might come later if you're not careful. But i can't be the only curious one here - You are traveling all the way from CA and staying in Paris for just one day?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,820 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: our teens meeting local teens

Teens meet all the time on the street, in restaurants, at Disneyland, etc. But I presume the OP meant something like a meeting for cultural exchange and discussion and not just hooking up for the purpose of making out once the adult supervision is otherwise occupied.

Discussion would be difficult in any case, since most French people, including teens, speak very poor English—unless the American kids speak fluent French, which is even less likely..

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,687 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: our teens meeting local teens

What about hanging out at something like the Quai St .Bernard where folks like to dance and picnic in the evenings?