We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train bookings - do we have to buy a ticket for our bikes?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
auckland
Level Contributor
162 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Train bookings - do we have to buy a ticket for our bikes?

We are wanting to buy a train ticket from Dinan to Carhaix. It involves 3 sectors, Dinan to Lamballe by TER, Lamballe to Guingamp by TGV and Guingamp to Carhaix by TER. Do we need to reserve a ticket for our bikes when we make our bookings for us? If so, how do we do that? Is it any cheaper buying a ticket now for travel on 8th August? Or can we safely just wait until we get to Dinan? Because we have bikes, we are concerned there might be limited space available.

Queensland
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train bookings - do we have to buy a ticket for our bikes?

bump :)

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,707 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train bookings - do we have to buy a ticket for our bikes?

Most TGVs don't have any space for bikes at all. There are a few exceptions, but check carefully.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train bookings - do we have to buy a ticket for our bikes?

Seats on TER trains can't be reserved, including bikes, and TGV trains don't normally carry bikes.

You may have to look for a journey that only involves using TER trains, which will also be cheaper than taking a TGV, if slower.

If you look for your train times on bahn.de there is an option for travel with bicycle that should only show appropriate trains. The French timetable sites don't seem to have this option.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,151 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train bookings - do we have to buy a ticket for our bikes?

For any future responders, I've already verified that there are TGV trains that allow bikes (i.e. fully assembled, as these trains have bike compartments) on the Lamballe to Guingamp portion of the OP's journey. Their question is how to make a reservation for their bikes when they are also reserving their tickets.

Although reservations are required for the TGV leg of the journey there is no reduction in price for advance ticket purchase on this journey. It does cost 10€ per bike for the bike reservation. The OP could buy tickets last minute but since there is limited space for bikes I'm sure they want to purchase ahead of time to insure they will get a space for their bikes.

So the main problem is, when booking their tickets what other things do they need to do during the on-line reservation process to reserve space for their bikes.

howham, let me know if I've explained your situation clearly and make any corrections needed to the assumptions I've made.

auckland
Level Contributor
162 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train bookings - do we have to buy a ticket for our bikes?

French Mystique - You described our situation absolutely correctly. Maybe we will have to wait until we arrive in Dinan to make our bookings which is 3 days before we want to travel. Thanks for the input.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,151 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train bookings - do we have to buy a ticket for our bikes?

howham, if you don't get an answer here I would suggest you post your question on the Lonely Planet. They have a forum dedicated to bikers there called "On Your Bike" and I'm sure someone there could answer your question:

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa…

You might also post your question at www.freewheelingfrance.com.

I would suggest you might want to get your tickets ahead of time because the TGV trains have limited bike space and you probably don't want to find out at the last minute that all the bike spaces have been reserved. August is high season and there are lots of bikers out and about at this time.

7. Re: Train bookings - do we have to buy a ticket for our bikes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 03:16