We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking food on the Eurostar

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Taking food on the Eurostar

I've seen comments that indicate you can buy food in the waiting area (after immigration and security) to take on the Eurostar. But is is possible to bring food and liquids through security or is that prohibited?

Also, if taking an early train from Paris, will the food concessions in the waiting area be open?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking food on the Eurostar

Good question, i'm interested in this as well, we plan to go to london leaving at 0745. I hope someone has some good insight on this.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,180 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking food on the Eurostar

Yes you can take food and liquids with you, and not just ones you get from the station,, people bring full on picnics.. There is no liquid restriction like flying.

I made a point to buy things the night before when I had early trains, ( I usually always get hotels with mini bar/fridges, so not a problem) ,, but I do recall buying stuff at the london station,, but sorry , can't remember how early that was,, it was morning though. In Paris the Gare du Nord didn't seem to have as many choices unless you decend fully into station, which you don't need to do as the Eurostar is on the top level. As I said, in my experience( I have done the return trip four times now) I usually buy stuff the night before.

I have gone to the food car on the ES,, er,, not great, bagged chips , lame sandwiches,, in other words,, bring your own food. Its fun to being eating some nice treats you picked up from a market, monoprix take out, or the wonderful MS in London.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,991 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking food on the Eurostar

We always take a picnic on board - one that we have prepared at home. Trains in Europe aren't (for the moment) controlled by Department of Homeland Security paranoia.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking food on the Eurostar

As far as I can remember there isn't much after you go through immigration. I'd buy stuff before, for sure.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking food on the Eurostar

In the Eurostar departure area at Gare du Nord there is a standard Paul sandwich outlet and places where you can buy bottles of water and soft drinks and there are plenty of food outlets in the main body of the station. I would be surprised if these were not open in time for the first influx of passengers in the morning.

worcester, uk
Level Contributor
444 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking food on the Eurostar

Last year we had just purchased cups of tea and coffee just before going through the security screening and were forced to bin them. (no problems with the bag of cakes or macaroons in my hand though!!!). €6 wasted. So i think carry on drinks may be different.

Edited: 16 May 2012, 07:33
Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking food on the Eurostar

You cannot take hot drinks through security so buy your coffees afterwards. However drinks in bottles are just fine.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,439 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking food on the Eurostar

We were surprised in Spain to have our luggage x-rayed before boarding the fast train, and they insisted we throw away our rather nice picnic knife (French chef size) before we boarded. I haven't heard of it on the Eurostar though.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,824 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking food on the Eurostar

Concerning x-raying luggage - I recall that was the procedure a year ago at St Pancras at the London end of the Eurostar. So much so that I was called back to the counter by a uniformed official to hear the dreaded question: did you pack this bag yourself, Monsieur? (Memory is vague here, but I believe he was French.) I was asked to unpack my backpack - it seems they had spotted my Swiss Army knife. It was taken away for examination by a more senior official but returned to me. I was shown a large bin with many "switch" bladed type knives that had been confiscated. Not sure why the penknife was excused, but I was grateful.

We usually carry some kitchen utensils in our larger bag, including a chef's knife. No problems so far. Guess it all comes down to who is on duty, what items they are "blitzing" that week/day and what the officials doing the scanning pick up on the pass through. Rather have some check than none at all though.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,439 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking food on the Eurostar

I have no idea how a chef would carry his/her knives. I was a bit annoyed to lose the knife. Mind you, had in been in Nick's coat, it wouldn't have been a problem.