We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
1 post
Save Topic
Paris

I'm going to Paris for Christmas. When is the best time to purchase the ticket and which airport is better to fly into? It's five of us going. Living arrangements are taking care of.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris

Nikki, I'm not being snarky, but you may get better responses to your question if you put a more descriptive title on the thread. Something like Paris Airfare or similar. Everything on the Paris Forum has to do with Paris...

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,753 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris

Nikki, welcome to TA.

You often don't have a choice of airports. It depends on which airport your carrier uses.

To search for airfares I like using the Matrix website. When choosing your destination choose "PAR" which will be Paris -all airports. Most flights will go to CDG, and some to ORY.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

I would start looking at fares now to get an idea of prices. Unless someone has an amazing sale, it's probably a little early to book yet. I would just keep an eye out for airfare sales to Europe. Prices in the winter should be lower - but depending on your dates may not be the lowest due to your holiday travel dates.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris

You may also have luck using 1800flyeurope.com for good airfares. I've had good luck with them in the past.

Also, airfare alerts can be set up on many of the travel sites. You input your threshold price and are alerted when/if that fare becomes available. Be prepared to act fast if that occurs. Have a look at farecompare.com as a place to start your search.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris

I'm going in mid-Nov for a month and have been monitoring the fares for several months. At this point, the sales are covering travel through Sept/Oct. I believe the sales for travel later this year will be coming out in the next month or so. Just keep looking.

FYI Aer Lingus via Dublin tends to have low fares that have not changed yet. I'm tempted to book but am waiting to see what other sales come forward.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris

You'll like fly into CDG from any airline flying out of your area (New Orleans). It's often cheaper too. With 5 people you will need a bigger taxi (a van) - don't worry, the taxi guy right outside the airport will get one for you. I suppose it will cost more than a regular taxi, but the fares are strictly set by the government and no one gets ripped off (there's also the RER trains but on a first trip - well, there's nothing quite so exciting as getting in a car/van and driving into Paris and seeing the Eiffel Tower for the first time on the horizon).

As for timing, this is difficult. Fuel prices and fares are going up and up. We watched for awhile in November/December, there was a brief dip post-holiday (end of January) and we snagged our tickets then. Since then, there have been last minute fares that are about $200 per ticket cheaper - but then, we'd have had to bite our nails all this time about whether the fares would really drop (and the seats are not available on all flights, and certainly you would risk not sitting anywhere near each other).

So, we've found that about 4 months before the flight is a good time to buy - they start out pricing them a little high, I think, but as time progresses, the market forces take place. Winter should be cheaper.

We buy directly from the airlines, have never found much better fares elsewhere. Air France was higher this year, for a long time (we like them a lot) but ended up getting a much better deal from British Airways (but then, we're stopping over in London for a week). Even with that two city itinerary, BA was cheaper, this year. Delta and American can be cheaper, but we really think the level of service on Air France and BA make the difference in price worth it. (Although, if I had to choose, I'd pick Delta over American any day - and you're right near its hub).

Have fun and come back with any other questions you have!

6. Re: Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 02:40