We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adaptors

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
141 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Adaptors

I will be visiting Paris and parts of the rest of France. I need to charge my iPhone, and my camera batteries. What specifically do I need to be able to do that? Thanks!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
489 reviews
from US$73.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$109.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
584 reviews
from US$51.80*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.10*
US$335.60
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adaptors

An adapter like this one:

wonpro.com/style/…

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adaptors

Check the raised print on your a/c cords. If you see something like 120/240V (and you should as most chargers are dual voltage), all you'll need is a plug adaper.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,753 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adaptors

Yes, you will need a converter. They are sold at almost all of the box stores, plus some bookstores and specialty shops. There will be two parts to whatever you buy - a larger one that accepts your appliance, then a smaller one that plugs into the wall. Usually here you will get several of the smaller ones (different prongs) because some of the countries have different outlet configurations. The sets should be very easy to find here in the US. You could wait until you get to France, of course, but in my recent travels I found them to be much cheaper here.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
141 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adaptors

Hey, thanks so much for your help!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,769 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adaptors

<<<There will be two parts to whatever you buy - a larger one that accepts your appliance, then a smaller one that plugs into the wall.>>>

No idea what this is about. All the plug adapters I have and all the ones I have seen are one part. If you are talking about a voltage converter this is not what is required.

This is all you need: http://tinyurl.com/cn5y9em

As has been mentioned... look for the numbers on your charging equipment... 110-240 and 50-60 are the numbers you need to see. 99.9% certainty you'll see them there on modern gear.

Edited: 16 May 2012, 20:39
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26,180 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adaptors

a converter is designed to step down the power -- the small 'travel' ones are pretty worthless especially for any appliance that will heat like a curler or hair dryer -- to get one large enough to be safe, you would be hauling much too much weight and they are expensive --

an adapter just allows the plug to fit into the European wall outlet. MOST electronics these days works for both US and European voltage but of course check your own devices to be sure. if you need a hair dryer (most hotels and apartments have them) then get a dual voltage one - they are cheap and easily found in any Walgreens or Target -- you can pick up adapters at any travel store, US airport, and many other places for 5$ or less. we like to have several in the luggage since we have a habit of leaving them here and there

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adaptors

All good information and hopefully the OP will understand the difference between an adapter and converter.

Janet, if you travel often to Europe, you may want to consider buying a 220/240 volt hairdryer and/or curling iron. I finally got fed up with my dual voltage hair dryer and bought one in France with the right plug. I can't remember the cost but it makes things so much easier to not have an adapter that sometimes is loose in the socket etc.. I'm not sure the cost now but it was not that expensive when I bought it several years ago.

Toronto
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adaptors

I may not be sure about hair dryers or flat irons (mine are both dual voltage) but I do know cameras. You have not needed a converter for any rechargeable lithium ion camera for at least 10 years (probably more). Camera manufacturers realized it made more sense to make the chargers with adaptable voltage and just include the proper cord for the country the camera is sold in. They will all say 110/240.

As for the iphone/ipod, I would rather lose my pinkie than my iphone (LOL) and I charged mine in Europe last year with no converter.

All you need for both is the appropriate plug adapter so you can plug the USB adapter into the wall.

Now what I'm not sure about is what would happen if you did use a converter, when not necessary. Probably nothing, but why buy it if it isn't necessary ? Also a good tip that I tell others is to tie your camera case strap around your charger cable. This means that when you remove the battery from the charger, it will remind you to put the charger back into your luggage. I don't know how many chargers I've had to order for people who left them in their hotel rooms

Hope that helps.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,097 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adaptors

Cheap converters use electronics (rather than a transformer) to reduce the voltage from 220 to 110. The output from such a converter is not really suitable for electronic devices and could fry a batter charger or an iToy power supply.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26,180 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Adaptors

I have a European hair dryer but it is not particularly convenient -- too big and not a foldable one -- got stuck buying it when a promised hairdryer was not available in the apartment -- now I just check with the apartment and hotel in advance and have not had a hair dryer gap for some time now. I have had several apartment owners say 'there should be one there, but if there isn't contact the local caretaker and we will have him get one.'