We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable time to request for early arrival at apt

Toronto
Level Contributor
715 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonable time to request for early arrival at apt

We'll be arriving at CDG (terminal 2F) at 8:10 AM. I want to grab museum passes from the tourist counter and a Lebara sim card if I can find one (if our request for one to be sent to Canada beforehand hasn't worked) before we leave. We'll take a taxi (4 adults and 1 child) to rue des Archives in the 4th.

We're travelling with my ILs and my MIL has a really rough time with overseas flights and jet lag. I realize our apartment rental may not be able to accommodate an early check-in request (normal times are 1-7 PM) but it says we can ask in our contract and I've noticed the day before is empty on the calendar which leads me to be hopeful.

But I would hate to ask for an early time, have someone meet us and then be late.

Given our arrival time, our 2 small errands and traffic at that time of day, what do you think would be a reasonable request?

Thanks so much in advance?

Edited: 17 May 2012, 13:56
PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonable time to request for early arrival at apt

All going fairly well I would have said 11.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,558 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonable time to request for early arrival at apt

I would call from the airport after going thru immigration etc., to see if the apt is ready. The first two apts. I rented I was able to get in around 10am. I also don't do well with overnight flights and I need to nap a couple of hours after landing. I usually have enough energy to get to the apt., a quick bite to eat at a bakery, then shop for essential groceries, then I collapse. If I don't get sleep in a timely manner I get sick and my first 2 days of the trip are wasted.

On my 3rd trip I could not get in to my apt until noon. That difficult when your flight lands at 6am. Luckily I had friends staying in Paris so I went to their place and slept a couple of hours. I was then good to go as normal.

This next trip I may not be able to get in to my apt. til noon and I know I will not last that long. I get in at to CDG at 5:30am (putting me into Paris at 7:30am with nearly 5 hours to getting in to the apt.) so instead I am considering going over to Terminal 3 upon landing and getting a day/hourly rate at the Ibis hotel or the Novotel. I can nap, shower, eat a snack, change clothes, and be rested and refreshed for the remainder of my day and evening in Paris -- I'll then be on track with no jet lag.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonable time to request for early arrival at apt

Will you have a cell phone with you? I only ask because, if your plane is late, it won't matter what time you plan to meet, you'll miss it. You might consider setting a tentative time, and then confirm via cell phone once you're in the city, if that's possible.

Yeah, just caught the Sim card reference. So you'll have a phone. Just set a tentative time and confirm once you're on the ground.

Edited: 17 May 2012, 14:25
4. Re: Reasonable time to request for early arrival at apt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 21:06
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,646 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonable time to request for early arrival at apt

I would set it up with the landlord/agency as per toes-in-the-sand's suggestion, then do your errands after checking into the apartment.

Then your inlaws can have a nap while you take care of the mundanities.

Neither the museum pass nor the sim card are urgent enough to add to the fiddling around before you get out of the airport.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonable time to request for early arrival at apt

The only thing to consider is that many landlords won't do this. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't. I'm only saying that in many cases it may not be an option.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
203 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonable time to request for early arrival at apt

It's best to let your landlord know about your flight and ask her/him to meet you only after you call after you've landed. We did the same with our landlord and he didn't have a problem meeting us at 10 pm.

I agree with Sunshine about heading out to get your errands done after you've checked into your apartment.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasonable time to request for early arrival at apt

Maddie, that's a great idea if I can't get into my apartment early as well. I've been checking flights and considering only those that get me in later in the morning but that's a viable option if I do get a flight that arrives at 6 am and I can't have access to the apartment until 1ish.

I agree with sending the landlord/agency your flight and also confirming upon arrival. However, perhaps getting the SIM card and Museum pass won't take that long at the airport and you could do it quickly while the MIL and others freshen up, use the restroom and perhaps get fortified with a cup of coffee before heading out.

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasonable time to request for early arrival at apt

For my last trip, I had an early flight into Paris. My check-in time for my apartment was 3 p.m., so instead of worrying about it, I just booked an additional night (the night before my flight arrived) so I could get there early and not have to worry about waiting around. It was definitely worth the additional cost.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
612 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reasonable time to request for early arrival at apt

I was going to suggest the same thing as @robm103 ... book the apartment for the day before arrival, so you won't need to worry about early check in.