We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Bookings & Cancellations

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
543 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Bookings & Cancellations

I found some hotels that require full payment of your stay immediately, some ask for the full amount to be paid at check in and yet another ones ask for payment of one night and the remaining balance when you arrive.

I can't afford to pay full amount yet as just bought the flights. I am happy to pay for one night or pay when we arrive.

I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with cancellations (say, if you wish to stay at another hotel). I know they don't refund the booking fees.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Bookings & Cancellations

The ones that require immediate payment are usually those with a special price and no cancellation. If you use Booking.com, you will usually find different rates for the same room, depending on the conditions. Usually there is no cancellation fee (unless it is a special deal as above).

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,030 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Bookings & Cancellations

It all depends on the rate you book. Some hotels have an advance purchase rate which is usually lower than the standard rate. However, these are usually fully non-reufundable.

We've only run into the one night deposit requirement when we go to Vegas. There, the deposit is fully refundable if cancelled by the cutoff deadline. Don't know how it works with the Paris hotels.

Standard rates are usually guaranteed with a CC and no charges are made until you check-in. They are usually fully cancellable and if not cancelled by the cut-off time, you are usually charged one nights room rate plus tax.

Every site should have a link to the cancellation policies for the room rates available on that site. Check the T&C's of the cancellation policies and then make your decision.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,151 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Bookings & Cancellations

Don't forget to look at the Hotel's own website for rates and conditions - - you might find something better there than the 'booking engines'.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
543 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Bookings & Cancellations

Yes, I am aware that special prices are non-refundable, so I avoid those - just in case!. For example http://www.hotelclementparis.com/ which is the one I wanted to book, takes the whole amount for your stay, even though they say you can cancel. Yet, they also offer you cancellation insurance at the check-out on their web site at an extra cost (30€ odd euros).

This is the reason I didn't book with them.

Edited: 24 May 2012, 20:59
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,043 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Bookings & Cancellations

I'd be hesitant to book too. I understand that many of the hotels are small and their terms may not be as flexible as a large chain hotel, but paying in full in advance for a regular rate seems excessive to me.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Bookings & Cancellations

I guess no shows are a problem for small hotels, especially when they declined guests due to being fully booked. Travel insurance should cover the unavoidable.

In this case why not email the hotel, explain your situation and clarify the cancellation policy/costs.

Edited: 24 May 2012, 21:44
Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
72 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Bookings & Cancellations

I always use booking.com, where you can cancel most hotels up to 24hrs before arrival without any charge. It is the only website that i know of where you have to pay nothing before travel.

The best website to use to check the best rates is trivago. Put it into google as im not sure if it is .com or .co.uk

Trivago compares the likes of booking.com, hotels.com, expedia.com, etc.

Otherwise choose a hotel you like and try ringing or emailing to negotiate a deal.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,043 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Bookings & Cancellations

If you use a site such as booking.com, I would also check with the hotel directly, many times you can book with the hotel for the same rates and terms.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
543 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Bookings & Cancellations

I use booking.com to check on hotel reviews, etc, but I find their prices are always higher than booking directly with the hotel and many times, more expensive than the travel agent's price.

Last night I opted to book Montpensier Hotel, near the Louvre, at 115€ per night. They only charge for the first night, which I find acceptable; and the location is great. Again, this amount is refundable if I wish to cancel. Just need to go to their web site and there's is an option to do this.

I did get in touch with the hotel I mentioned on my first post but they simply ignored my question and simply said they had no room for me (because the link they'd sent me to pay had expired - which it had)...but I was still happy to book with them providing they'd not charge me the full amount.

I have relatives who live near Paris staying with my mother at the moment and they said hotels sometimes "panic" and rent the room you already booked. I haven't come across anyone saying that on these forums but perhaps it's because, as Dev1236 said, the "no show" rates are quite high,

We should be landing in Paris at 10am so we'll check in by 1pm, so I think we'll be OK. (And I'll send them an email the day before as well...just in case).

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,146 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Bookings & Cancellations

I am careful to read the cancellation policies of the hotels I book,, and have run into a problem using priceline once. I wil not use them again. This was not for a "mystery " hotel , but rather for a discount rate on a named hotel in Amsterdam.. The description of the hotel left out some very important information( to me). Our room had a "private bathroom" listed as an amenity. The rate was very good, better then the one listed on the hotels own website by far. So I booked it, luckily for only 2 nights, but it was fully non refundable.

On going back to the hotels website to look at a few more pictures and descriptions,, I discovered that the room catergory we booked had a "private bathroom" alright,, but that it was an "open concept " room, meaning the bathroom had NO WALLS and was open to the room.. sorry, I like a wall around my toilet! I contacted priceline, who contacted hotel , then priceline contacted me back. They said the hotel was responsible for providing the room description on their( pricelines) website, and that were going to change it NOW( after I brought this to their attention) to make it clear the "private" bathroom was not so private in the convential meaning of the word. Meanwhile they offered me an upgrade to a room with a bathroom with walls, for an extra 20 euros a night. No refund. The rate was still a deal, but frankly, I could have found another hotel cheaper if I had been more vigilant about checking on the hotels own website before using a booking agency.

I have used booking.com a few times, and have so far not had a problem, but I am through with that, I am just going to book my own rooms directly now,,which is what I have usually done.. but now, no more exceptions. I can read the policies myself. I never book a non refundable room normally, but figured for 2 nights in worst case I would only beout a few hundred euros.

I have booked several hotels in PAris with excellant policies, I have been able to cancel for free most times. or at most with a 5 euros "booking fee" .