We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Paris Pass or Museum Pass worth the cost?

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is the Paris Pass or Museum Pass worth the cost?

I'm wondering--I understand that many of the attractions listed (on the Paris and the Museum Pass) are actually free, but the Pass might speed us past the lines of people waiting to get in.

That's certainly worth something...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Paris Pass or Museum Pass worth the cost?

When I looked into the Paris Pass, I found it grossly overpriced. One can easily purchase the included items separately for less money.

You'll have to price out the museums and other monuments that you intend to visit to determine if the museum pass is worth it to you. I am a museum lover and I ended up saving at least 20 euros on my trip by using the PMP. It did allow us to skip lines but I wouldn't advise getting it just for that purpose. There are other ways to purchase advance tickets which also allow you to skip ticket lines. Security lines which can be long at some places cannot be skipped by anyone.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,299 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Paris Pass or Museum Pass worth the cost?

What attractions on the museum pass are free? There may be some, but I don't know of any and where things are free, the pass does not let you buck the line i.e. if you have a pass on 'free Sunday' you go to the back of the security line like anyone else.

There is no such thing as a "Paris Pass' if by that you imagine a single card for transport and museums etc -- it is a marketing tool to bundle the museum and Paris Visite passes and then add a fee.

The museum pass can be a value for first timers on a short trip who are doing lots of traditional tourist stops -- and there are a few places where it does really help with lines -- d'Orsay and Orangerie are two in particular where having an advanced ticket or a pass really helps.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Paris Pass or Museum Pass worth the cost?

How long are the lines at d'Orsay, for example. How much time are we talking about?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,299 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Paris Pass or Museum Pass worth the cost?

the d'Orsay reliably has long lines -- but I have occasioned by when the line was maybe 20 minutes -- but during tourist season it would not be unusual to have a two hour wait. back in the day we waited that long to get in on one trip.

we now never go without advance tickets --you can buy a ticket in the office to the left of the entry line -- it is the door in the wall without a line -- that ticket is good for a year EXCEPT the day you buy it. we just buy it on our way to the Louvre (which is just across the river from the d'Orsay) and then use it on some rainy day when we feel like going. with a pass or advance ticket you join the queue to the right of the main queue -- if you are in luck you just walk around to the right side of the building and walk in -- if it is crowded you may have a 10 or 15 minute wait in the queue for ticket and pass holders

you can also buy tickets ahead for the d'Orsay or any other museum including Versailles at a FNAC store with a slight surcharge. so if you don't think a pass is for you e.g perhaps you are there for a week or two and want to spread out museum stops then you can make one trip to FNAC and stock up on tickets for everything you want to see and be set

Level Contributor
2,780 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Paris Pass or Museum Pass worth the cost?

Welcome to TA Greg! Looks like you joined today. TA has been such a help for me in planning our vacations.

As for the Museum pass we thought it was a great value. Compared to what we pay in the states to get into 1 museum we loved that we could go when ever we wanted and we probably saw a lot more because we had it. We went to 14 museums on it on our trip back in Nov.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Paris Pass or Museum Pass worth the cost?

Included in the Paris Pass

http://www.parispass.com/how-it-works/

Included in the Paris Museum Pass

…parismuseumpass.com/rub-museums-monuments-b…

Places in Paris with no admission charge

…parisinfo.com/guide-paris/…

The Paris Pass is not necessarily "overpriced" or a "bundle with an added fee".

Whether it is economical or worthwhile depends entirely on how many included places/activities you are able to actually accomplish during days your pass covers.

You can only do so much in a day, particularly between opening hours of most of the included places and activities.

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Paris Pass or Museum Pass worth the cost?

The Paris Pass is marketed to look like value for money, as they list what one 'would pay' for all the things it covers, if you bought them all separately.

The catch is, that it is simply not physically possible to cover all those things in the timescale they are suggesting.

For example, they show the price of a 2-day Hop-On-Hop-Off bus ticket PLUS a Paris Visite transport pass (You would not want both on the same days) PLUS entry to Versailles (which needs a full day in itself) PLUS entry to the Louvre(needs at least half a day) PLUS a wine-tasting PLUS all the other attractions which can be visited on the Museum Pass.....and then they say that to get the massive 'saving' they quote, you would have to cover all this in just two days.

Well, of course, in practice, you can not do it.

For a meaningful comparison, you need to think carefully which attractions you will actually visit in that space of time, add up the price of those, and then do the cost comparison.

Having said that, where the publicity for the Paris Pass CAN be useful, is in giving you ideas of what is available. You might enjoy a Hop-OnHop-Off bus tour...or go to Versailles...or visit several different museums for a short 'taster' of what each has to offer...but it then comes down to You to decide what you want to do.

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Paris Pass or Museum Pass worth the cost?

Thanks, everyone! This is a great help. I think Janetttravels44's idea of getting to Paris and buying at the FNAC store only the tickets I want.

A question about transportation: we'll take the metro, naturally--is there a week-long card we can buy so we're not forever buying individual tickets?

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the Paris Pass or Museum Pass worth the cost?

If it fits your dates, the Navigo Decouverte is the best value transportation pass. You pay a one-off 5 euros for the card - you need a photo, slightly smaller than passport sized, then you 'load' the card with a week's worth of travel. Only catch is, it is valid from Monday to Sunday ; obviously you can use it for fewer days within that period, say Tuesday to Saturday, but what you can NOT do is pick any start date and use it for 7 days.

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the Paris Pass or Museum Pass worth the cost?

The Navigo Decouverte pass sounds rather perfect for us--we arrive on a sunday and depart the following sunday. I assume this is good for the Metro all over Paris, but wouldn't cover any trips to Versailles or Chartres, right?

And I wonder if it's smart to try to get it before I leave the States, or wait till we get to Paris...