We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where not to stay in Paris

central US
Level Contributor
66 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Where not to stay in Paris

A group of women are planning a trip in fall of 2013, and there is a lot of discussion about areas of Paris to avoid. Can anyone help. We will be doing day trips on our own and would like to be close to transportation. Sorry for so many questions, but the help I get is great!!!

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where not to stay in Paris

There have been a number of threads on this subject; here is one:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k532…

The general consensus seems to be:

a) Anywhere in Paris itself - within the 'Peripherique' - the risk of physical harm is extremely low during daytime/evening hours

b) 'Late' in Paris is much later than in many other places - anything up to midnight is generally OK - the small hours are a different matter

c) Despite the fact of not being at actual risk, there ARE areas where a single woman may feel uncomfortable

d) Some people may also feel uncomfortable seeing e.g. sex shops/'working women',

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where not to stay in Paris

The Paris subway system is one of the densest in the world, with stations at an average of every 400 meters. It is therefore very difficult to find an area in Paris that is not convenient for transportation -- not to mention the fact that there is also the bus network.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,294 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where not to stay in Paris

As a group of women, you might want to avoid the immediate vicinity of both Les Halles and the red light area along Boulevarde de Clichy between Pigalle and Blanche metro stations. I don't think either area is dangerous, but you might not feel comfortable.

Note that the area of Montmartre, north of Bvd de Clichy, is fine: the red light activity does not spread up the hill.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,945 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where not to stay in Paris

Personally I would not elect to stay in La Defence area, not a safety issue , just not my cuppa.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,045 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where not to stay in Paris

Since you have plenty of time to read up on the various neighborhoods of Paris, perhaps you could identify some places that appeal to your preferences (and budget). If you can describe what you'd most like (nightlife or quiet, very upscale or more down-to-earth, wanting to have some contact with other tourists or wanting to avoid them, etc), you'll be able to get suggestions that suit you. (Don't forget to include budget per night and what kind of accommodations you are looking for--double rooms, singles, etc.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where not to stay in Paris

You don't mention how long your visit will be, but another thing to consider is renting an apartment. You can find many ideas on this forum by searching with the word 'apartment rental'.

As you browse this forum, you may see some posts discussing pickpockets and many questions about personal safety in the city. I've traveled to Paris many times as a single woman. I have never felt threatened or scared or worried about my safety.

The best advice I can give you is to just remain aware of your surroundings when in crowded areas and keep your personal items close by. Sometimes I think traveling by myself allows me to be more alert and aware then the times I have traveled with someone else. I'm much more easily distracted by conversation etc. with a friend.

But with all that said, and with any distractions I've had, nothing has happened except I've had a wonderful time in the most beautiful city in the world! And I'm going back later this year by myself for a month to celebrate my 60th birthday!

Have fun!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,704 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where not to stay in Paris

Paris is not a dangerous city, despite the persistent misconceptions of visitors. (But then again, tourists seem to think that anywhere in the world outside their home town is dangerous.)

The northeast part of Paris is the least suitable for tourists simply because most of the major sights of the city are somewhere else (with some notable exceptions, such as the Père Lachaise cemetery). The center of the city is best, the western half is nearly as good, the Latin Quarter is also a pretty good base.

Whatever one's choice, the city's mass transportation system is so excellent, and the city itself is so small (only a few miles across for the city proper, although the suburbs are very extensive), that it's possible to get just about anywhere fairly quickly no matter where one stays.

Edited: 31 May 2012, 10:50
8. Re: Where not to stay in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 14:40