We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gare de nord / Gare Montparnasse

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
stockport
Level Contributor
9 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Gare de nord / Gare Montparnasse

Hello

My family 3 adults and 2 children arrive in Paris, Gare Nord on Monday at 11.50am with a 4 hour wait for a connecting train to Toulouse from Gare Montparnasse. To get from Gare de Nord to Gare Montparnasse I will use the metro. Is the metro to Gare Montparnasse at Gare de Nord? Or do I have to go somewhere else. I've heard a few scary stories about safety, tourists, pickpockets. Anyone got any good advice? It's our first trip to Paris . Thank you

NZ
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gare de nord / Gare Montparnasse

Metro Line 4 goes direct from Gare Nord to Montparnasse Bienvenue Metro and it is a short under ground walk to the Gare itself.

Don't be paranoid about safety - ensure your valuables are safe in a security wallet around the neck or under clothing and only keep a small amount of funds in your pocket. At that time of day the metro should be busy but not packed.

The metro is best if you don't have an absolute mountain of luggage. If you have too much to carry comfortably get a larger taxi - the cost may not be much different.

Have you planned to store your luggage at the station and go for a walk outside? The Montparnasse Tour might be a nice idea which would give you an overview of Paris. That area also has some lovely cafes and restaurants, particularly if you explore the smaller streets to the right of the Tour (right if standing with your back to the Gare)

Enjoy

stockport
Level Contributor
9 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gare de nord / Gare Montparnasse

Thank you 5 people with 4 suitcases might just get taxi. Someone said it costs about 5 euros an hour to store cases per case. I've got an across te body bag that zips and Velcro, will use that. Do u know anything about the "scams" everyone keeps talking about?

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gare de nord / Gare Montparnasse

«and it is a short under ground walk to the Gare itself.»

Just to be clear, there's nothing short about it. it's nearly a kilometer of tunnels and stairs. The line-4 platforms are blocks away from the Gare Montparnasse.

A taxi should be around 15€.

If you really prefer taking the métro, take line-4 to Denfert-Rochereau and transfer to line-6, direction Etoile. The line-6 platforms are directly below the Grand ligne platforms at Gare Montparnasse.

The only scams you're likely to run into are at the ticket machines. Don't accept any offer to help you buy a ticket. Go to a ticket window. Don't talk to anyone who approaches you when you're using a ticket machine.

Edited: 01 June 2012, 00:27
stockport
Level Contributor
9 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gare de nord / Gare Montparnasse

Thank you that's useful. We will get a taxi. Also this might sound like a silly question. When at Montparnasse we will travel to Toulouse. Do you know if these trains usually depart from the same platforms, like they do in the uk.?

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gare de nord / Gare Montparnasse

"Someone said it costs about 5 euros an hour to store cases per case."

You pay for a locker, 5.50, 7.50 or 9.50 € depending on size. The large lockers take two large suitcases or several smaller cases. It's a single charge for the locker, not a per-hour charge. Left luggage is "Consigne" in French.

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gare de nord / Gare Montparnasse

The Toulouse trains generally depart from the low-numbered platforms on the left-hand side of the concourse as you face the trains.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gare de nord / Gare Montparnasse

Adding to Richard's post, the lockers are rented for up to 48 hours for the rates he posted. After 48 hours, it's an additional 5€/day/bag.

The platform that your train will leave from is announced 20 minutes before departure. It could be any of the 24 platforms but it *usually* departs from platforms 1 to 5.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gare de nord / Gare Montparnasse

Sorry Richard, I posted over you.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gare de nord / Gare Montparnasse

If you put your luggage in a locker at Montparnasse, you'll have plenty of time to take the lift to the top of the Tour Montparnasse. The viewing platform at the top offers a fabulous view of the city.

stockport
Level Contributor
9 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gare de nord / Gare Montparnasse

Thank you everyone, you've been really helpful. Just one more thing. The distance from Montparnasse metro to Montparnasse station. Is this far?

Metro mole has answered for me in a previous post : If you really prefer taking the métro, take line-4 to Denfert-Rochereau and transfer to line-6, direction Etoile. The line-6 platforms are directly below the Grand ligne platforms at Gare Montparnasse. :)