We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

You Tube Pickpocketing Videos

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,845 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
You Tube Pickpocketing Videos

I have just watched some great videos on youtube.. they show pickpockets in action in Rome, Barcelona etc, and the most of the scnerios/ methods they show are same as they use in Paris.. very very helpful for my naive boyfriend to see. I tried explaining how you can't let groups of youngsters surround you, how sometimes its harmless looking women and children etc.. He had a hard time believing me when I said he had to harden his heart to sweet young girls asking him for help etc.. but these videos really opened his eyes,, women wearing babies on their chests pickpocketing etc.

Anyways., sorry I don't do links,, even though many have tried to teach me how, but its easy to find them, just literally google "youtube pickpocket videos" .

Really worth watching for anyone who is not familar with this type of crime .. also features a few cons..

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,118 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: You Tube Pickpocketing Videos

I remember being on the metro last fall when a woman got on with a baby -- and my husband was making eyes at the baby -- a French woman behind us said 'watch your wallet' -- the group who cannot be named women and their babies are well known pickpocket flags

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,845 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: You Tube Pickpocketing Videos

Ok, , found a good basic youtube video,, its starts with Barbra Walters introduction,and it does feature Italy, but its an eye opener and can happen in Paris , Barcelona , any large city.

Warning, title contains a ethnic label ,, but I will post it so that you can find this exact video.

"Gypsies in Italy Stealing from Tourists openly-Tourists to Italy be warned"

Just nevermind the "italy " thing,, it will help just to see how stuff is done.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
643 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: You Tube Pickpocketing Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO6CFSosqKE

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,845 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: You Tube Pickpocketing Videos

Thank you Pegdafittr,, hopefully inexperienced travellers will take the time to watch this,, it helpful, but not the whole story,, but a good start.

PS Please ,, for those of you who are sensitive, do not get all paranoid, I want people to watch this to see how easy it is to be a victim, IF ,,, you are not prepared. Once you become more aware you are a less likely target.. and you don't let yourself get set up so easily!

Na
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: You Tube Pickpocketing Videos

Pickpockets in Paris are a big problem. I can say this is the top issue to watch.

In my last trip two little men pickpocket my wife near the museum d orsay. They took his iphone 4 and his wallet with only some coins.

This area is full of pickpockets. They are boys or girls of less than 23 years.

All this kids come from one country and France knows already this.

Keep your bag in front of you and avoid people around you, when it is raining watch your back because they pickpocket more when it is raining because you are more distracted with the umbrella.

Queensland
Level Contributor
3,771 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: You Tube Pickpocketing Videos

Hear hear Joan..... it's not about 'scaring' people and making them afraid of visiting Paris or one of the other cities known for this type of petty crime.

It is about educating them so that when they visit they are aware and can be smart about it - whilst enjoying themselves.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: You Tube Pickpocketing Videos

Do keep in mind that the video was made *at least* 10 years ago...they talk about having had lira and pesetas stolen, neither of which have been legal currency in the EU since 2002.

It also clarifies the utter folly of believing that a waist pack is secure.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: You Tube Pickpocketing Videos

Commercial American TV news is the LAST place to find objective and realistic reporting on anything in Paris or Europe for that matter. The video is far more valuable with the sound turned off.

This thread will only add to the fear and hysteria about the alleged rampant crime in Paris. And before I'm accused of turning my back to a problem of petty crime in Paris, let me say that the problem is the same as it was 10 years ago or 20 years ago and it's been covered by hundreds of TA threads that always end up with the same conclusions. The simple precautions that will protect you are also the same as they were 10-20 years ago. There is no need to freak out.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: You Tube Pickpocketing Videos

I do not think this post was meant to alarm people but to educate them. Many people are "visual" learners so seeing these clips clearly shows how the pickpockets work and that it is fairly easy to prevent it from happening if you keep your valuables out of your pants packets, avoid backpacks, etc. and generally be aware of your surroundings. Definitely no need to be paranoid but it is important to take precautions especially when in crowds.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: You Tube Pickpocketing Videos

My first trip to Europe (Italy) was over 25 years ago and the pickpockets today are using the same techniques as then. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I find the discussions on TA and videos like this to be educational, IF those reading or viewing understand that is the purpose. It is not too generate fear or hysteria. Many tourists that are going to France, Italy and Spain come from places where pickpockets don't operate. And as Joan1 said, many cannot believe that a woman with a baby or a group of children would have any ill intent. I find it sad that women use their children like this but I recognize it for what it is.

I remember on that first trip to Italy being surrounded by a group of small boys 'selling newspapers'. As they offered to paper to us, their other hand hidden by the paper was rummaging around in our pockets. My partner had put a small amount of liras in his front pants pocket and pinned it shut with a big diaper pin. I guess this surprised the little boy because he dropped the newspaper and kept trying to get in the pocket while we stood there watching. When he realized we could see what he was doing, he gave us a million-dollar smile, laughed and went off to find his next target.