We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do after touring Notre Dame

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
What to do after touring Notre Dame

I would like to visit the Notre Dame first thing in the morning when my energy level is high, and I am wondering what to do in the afternoon. Is the area around there a nice place to explore at a leisurely pace? I would just like to go someplace for lunch and then walk around. We will be in Paris in mid-September, and any suggestions would be appreciated.

South Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
183 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do after touring Notre Dame

There are so many beautiful things to see in the area, you will have no trouble finding someplace to explore.

We really enjoyed our lunch at Beaurepaire Cafe, which is near Notre Dame. Link to review: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187147-d224…

The plat du jour was great and 9 euros - quite a bargain compared to the expensive brasseries along the Quai de Montebello.

After lunch you can cross the Pont de l'Archeveche to see the thousands of padlocks people have locked to the fence from all over the world.

A stop at the memorial for Jews deported during WWII is quite sobering.

Walk along the Seine, take your picture in front of the Hotel DeVille, stroll over to the Center Pompidou to see the kinetic sculpture fountains.

Any direction you walk will be amazing.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,006 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do after touring Notre Dame

Almost just across the river from Notre Dame tied up along the quai at the left Bank is the Kiosk Flotant. It used to be called something else but has changed hands, but it is a great place for lunch on a sunny afternoon. You won't want to leave.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187147-d143…

Pjk

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,654 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do after touring Notre Dame

Right behind Notre Dame is the Deportation Memorial. I tried to visit again, but ended up I was there on a Monday and it was closed.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187147-d1…

...If you haven't already I would also suggest picking up and reading a good Paris guide book. TA is a great resource, but it doesnt't replace a guidebook IMO. You're getting good suggestions here, but wihout a guidebook you don't know what other possibilities you may be missing.

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do after touring Notre Dame

Notre Dame - even if you go up the towers as well as inside the Cathedral - is a LOT less walking than visiting the Louvre or Musee d'Orsay. You could perhaps visit the Sainte Chapelle afterwards.

After lunch, you will have all afternoon to explore, and I think much more energy than after either of the two big museums, so it really comes down to what kind of thing you fancy - a stroll around the Marais/Place des Vosges area? - Bvd S Michel and Latin Quarter? Or you could take a bus ride (#96) to Pere Lachaise Cemetery? Or a walk along the river?

So many possibilities...you really need to look through a guidebook and decide what appeals to *You* ;-)

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do after touring Notre Dame

You keep posting the same question for different sights; get a guidebook and a map.

As someone else said, the places you mention are not off the beaten track; Paris is very dense with things to see, restaurants, shops; you'd have to have a blindfold on not to see places of interest.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,006 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do after touring Notre Dame

Doesn't bother me.

Pjk

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do after touring Notre Dame

The Musee de Cluny is quite close to Notre Dame, and worth a visit. It's a medieval museum, with old tapestries etc, very nicely laid out and pretty calm compared to some other places in Paris. It was an unexpected delight when I visited.

On the way there, you could sit in the small and pretty St Julien le Pauvre gardens for a wee while, or maybe take a wander to Bertillon's on Ile de la Cite, for an ice cream.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,182 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do after touring Notre Dame

Nearby is Ste Chapelle which is a "must see" for the glorious stained glass.

In the square in front of the cathedral is the point of origin for all road distances in France. Downstairs nearby is an archaeological crypt with information on the earlier manifestations of the city. It is quite hot, however, and missable unless you are into archaeology.

Behind the cathedral is the pretty square Jean Paul XXIII and behind that again the memorial already mentioned.

Cross the bridge and you are on Isle St Louis. Have a look at the pretty church (marked by the iron clock) which has recently been renovated. If possible go inside the Berhtillon tea rooms and order a delicate ice while sitting down there, maybe a cake too.

The food shops up and down the street are drool worthy, cheese, chocolate, foie gras, bread. There are fun gift shops, a nice place to buy souvenirs.

…blogspot.com.au/2011/06/paris-ahh-paris-5-l…

Illinois
Level Contributor
564 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do after touring Notre Dame

As someone who posted at some length after the OP's post about what to do after a morning visit to Orsay, which apparently followed an identical inquiry about the Louvre, I totally agree with Grandmere3. This seems to be a fill in the blank question on the part of the OP.

sydney
Level Contributor
387 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do after touring Notre Dame

Recently had lunch at a nice restaurant called the Petit Chatelet (next to shakespeares bookshop) with a good view of Notre dame. Well worth it...