We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Here's what the "petition" form looks like

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Here's what the "petition" form looks like

You've probably seen or read about the creative beggars who push a petition in your face, asking for your signature and a donation. This morning my wife grabbed one of the forms they want you to sign as the perp fled the Place de l'Hotel de Ville this morning:

http://tinyurl.com/c3zufkc

Of course it's a scam to get you to give them money or sometimes a cover/distraction to keep you busy while their colleague picks your pocket. Either way, there is no reason to sign ANYTHING in France if you aren't a registered voter and/or citizen of the country. Walk on by and don't even acknowledge their existence. They are invisible to you.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Here's what the "petition" form looks like

**special** -- no results on Google France for the "Association des Sourds et Muets" -- no results on Google France for ASMEOH (other than a couple of hits for similar scam reports) -- and 17, rue Ampére is the back door of the St-Francois des Sales church, which supports numerous charities, but none for the hearing-impaired.

A pity that not only do they illegally use the names of Handicap International and the church, but that they smear the good works that both of those organizations actually do.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Here's what the "petition" form looks like

And look at all the money they collected -- over 150 euros it looks like! And from people all around the world.

Yes, it's very sad they misrepresent agencies that do good.

Thanks Metromole for this -- I think it makes the petition girls seem more real. While I know to avoid them, I guess I just thought the form would look much less official. This is a quite well done scam.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Here's what the "petition" form looks like

Sort of -- anybody with the most rudimentary computer skills could do better.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
96 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Here's what the "petition" form looks like

"And look at all the money they collected -- over 150 euros it looks like! And from people all around the world."

Kittycatwoman - I dunno......the handwriting looks very much alike in many of those "signatures." We saw girls scribbling on their clipboards as they passed us by (and we were consciously ignoring them)....I assumed signing names to make it look good if someone actually did stop to listen to them.

What surprised us the most is they do it in such large groups - I guess that is so they can pickpocket or whatever the scheme is.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Here's what the "petition" form looks like

the caption in the link says "most of the "signatures" on the page were written-in by him and a younger girl"

No, they work in large groups to give it some appearance of legitimacy - pickpocketing isn't all that common with this particular scam -- they ask you to sign a petition and then tell you that your signature is a agreement to donate money.

Pickpockets ply their trade by making sure you never realize they were there.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Here's what the "petition" form looks like

The masses and masses of petition girls and boys at Lyon Part Dieu train station will try patting pockets as they squeeze/flow past the crowds waving their clip boards

Edited: 09 June 2012, 16:13
the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,286 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Here's what the "petition" form looks like

A young man recently went into my friend's boutique. He used his clipboard to cover her cellphone, so she wouldn't notice he was taking it. They're a great distraction advice.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,556 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Here's what the "petition" form looks like

I have never understood what would compel anyone to sign a petition in a foreign country. What could they think it would accomplish? (except provide cover for thieves and extortion artists of course.)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Here's what the "petition" form looks like

Very daring of your wife to grab the form. I'm curious. Did she remove it from the top of a clipboard?

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,286 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Here's what the "petition" form looks like

sorry, that was device.