We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please share your favorite walking shoes (not sneakers)

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
662 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Please share your favorite walking shoes (not sneakers)

So after about three unsuccessful orders on Zappos, I thought maybe you all would have some recommendation for comfortable walking shoes which would not be too casual?

Thank you!!

106 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,168 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please share your favorite walking shoes (not sneakers)

Focus first and foremost on comfort -- you will walk far more than you think you will, and blistered, bleeding, crying-for-mercy feet are neither fun nor fashionable.

The brands on the threads like this (there's one every week) run the usual gamut - Birkenstocks, Naot, Merrill, Rockport, etc.,etc., etc -- everyone's feet are different, and the greatest shoe in the world for one person is absolutely not a great shoe for the next person.

I would never buy walking shoes over the 'net (unless it was a replacement for something I already owned ) -- you really need to go and try them on and walk around to get a feel for how they fit.

And two pairs of walking shoes -- even if they're the same make and model -- because every pair of shoes wears on your feet and bears your weight just a little bit differently, thus helping cut down on blisters and hot spots. It also gives you a dry pair of shoes every day, rather than the soggy, sweaty, and increasingly smelly pair you wore yesterday.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,725 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please share your favorite walking shoes (not sneakers)

I got some ankle high Frye boots in Soho last month and I've been wearing them every other day. I put a Dr Scholls gel inside and they are fantastic. They are a pale grey in a rough leather with a one inch heel. Look fantastic with skirts and jeans. Très chic.

I read your 'no sneakers' comment, but I see loads of stylish women wearing black nikes this season. I've been wearing my orange suede Camper sneakers alot.

The problem is that it seems to rain every day this spring. We've all gotten sick of our Hunters/Aigle rubbers and we don't want to ruin our good shoes in the rain. Ballet shoes are popular, but I can't wear them long distance and rain storms have destroyed mine any way.

For fashionable moments I am resorting to long pants with high heeled sandals. Looks great, but probably not something you want to walk in all day

Sunnyvale,California...
Level Contributor
310 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please share your favorite walking shoes (not sneakers)

I've traveled the world with black, knee high, waterproof, 1 inch heel boots with a side zip and expandable calf. They are super comfortable. I can wear skirts, dresses, leggings, pants with them. I wear them with socks or tights. I recently wore them to Paris/Amsterdam/London and before that to Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai. I even climbed the Great Wall with them and had no problems. I make sure I put in a pair of Dr. Scholls Heel Pain Relief inserts and I'm good to go. The boots are from Blondo of Canada...ultra comfortable.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please share your favorite walking shoes (not sneakers)

I like to wear shoes that can be slipped on and off, so for the past few years I've favored Mary Jane styles. The ones that seem to fit best, and are most available, are Skechers: white for work; black for home and travel.

Interestingly, some of the shoes that work really well for day-to-day walking, shopping, etc., are awful on city pavement. I have a pair of Born clogs that are indestructible, and fit my feet perfectly----but I can't wear them in the city, not even with gel inserts. (Those inflexible soles are murder on cobblestones, too.)

I like the looks of NAOT shoes, but haven't had a chance to try on a pair to see if they like my feet. ;>)

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please share your favorite walking shoes (not sneakers)

I really like the Walking Cradles brand of shoes. The most comfortable shoes I own and they have held up for the past four trips to Europe.

Take the good advice of others -- go to a shoe store (preferably at the end of the day when your feet are a bit "swollen" and at their largest) and start trying on shoes that appeal to you.

When you find a pair that makes you say "oh wow, these are SO comfortable" then you have your shoe.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please share your favorite walking shoes (not sneakers)

Carhirer's guide to buying comfortable shoes.

1. Gather about 5 or 6 friends and ask them to display their feet.

2. Note the huge variations in the shapes of feet.

3. Conclude that the shoe that fits one person is bound to be useless for thr others.

4. Visit 3 or 4 shoe shops and try on as many styles as possible. Best to try shoes after you have walked around for at least a half hour, to allow the feet to expand.

Carhirer's guide to buying comfortable jeans.

1. Gather 5 or 6 friends and ask them to face the wall.

2. Note the huge variations in the shapes of their ......

eggplantgirl
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please share your favorite walking shoes (not sneakers)

I hate wearing sneakers and hate wearing flats because I am short, so finding fashionable yet comfortable walking shoes was a huge priority for me prior to leaving for Paris... suffice it to say that my mission FAILED! Good luck in your endeavor :) All of the brands that people mention are usually pretty good. You could try Clarks too.

Frankly even non-sneaker walking shoes will not blend in in Paris, from my observations. Most girls were wearing cute ankle-high flat boots. If you're someone who is okay with sneakers without support, many people (girls and boys) were wearing Converse, and many boys were wearing sporty-type small sneakers (think Adidas or Puma style).

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,725 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please share your favorite walking shoes (not sneakers)

eggplantgirl, check out ASH sneakers. They've got heels! High ones!

BTW, I recently took lots of shoe photos for Friday@Flore:

Findingnoon.com

eggplantgirl
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please share your favorite walking shoes (not sneakers)

Phread, you are my new best friend! Thanks!! :)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
355 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please share your favorite walking shoes (not sneakers)

Cole Haan ballet flats. Tomorrow I leave for Paris and Cannes. This is the third trip these shoes will be making with me. They NEVER wear out and are as effin' comfortable as can be!

Reply to: Please share your favorite walking shoes (not sneakers)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted