We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More on French music

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
More on French music

A little while back there was a thread on listening to French pop music, but i can't seem to locate it so am posting this. I stopped in to Starbucks here at home and they were selling "Musique Pop de Paris" in their CD display. Serge Gainsbourg, Brigitte Bardot, Clothilde, etc. Feels like I'm already in Paris!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More on French music

Sounds like you're in Paris 30-40 years ago!

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: More on French music

Brigitte B is not exactly the best singer France ever produced...she had no illusions herself! Paris /French music is a lot more eclectic than you think..

My favorite CDs of French music feature bagpipes from Gascony, bagpipes from Auvergne....Basque traditional songs, Corsican traditional songs..

Paris
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More on French music

Yes, it's the usual Putumayo stuff, they have a partnership with Starbucks. Some titles are OK, for some others... one wonders what's gotten into the programmer!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More on French music

Yup, it's French pop from the 60s! A little before my own time but sooo reminiscent of the music I heard in all those 60s French films I watched later on in college in the 80s...

Even great French versions of The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Le Lion est Mort Ce Soir) by Henri Salvador and These Boots are Made for Walking (Ces Bottes sont Faites Pour Marcher) by Eileen. I'm having so much fun. I really love the music Starbucks sells and have many of their CDs.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More on French music

Speaking of bagpipes: Bretonophile that I am, I love both traditional and modern Breton music---Alan Stivell, Gilles Servat, Soldat Louis, Tri Yann, and some of the fest noz groups like Ar Re Yaouank and Sonerien Du. Also Carlos Nunez, who is actually Spanish but sort of an honorary Breton. ;>)

I've mentioned before that I like the way French culture marries the old to the new...well, Breton culture does that, too. One very amusing but interesting video on Youtube shows what happens when an 80 year old singer of traditional Breton airs, Louise Ebrel, sings along with the much younger and very hard rock Ramoneurs de Menhirs, also Breton musicians: www.youtube.com/watch…

When it comes to French pop music, I like Zazie, Francoiz Breut, Mylene Farmer and Jean Jacques Goldman, among others. And I can see the charm of those old 60s French pop songs, too!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More on French music

I really love charteurs.org, found on apple on the international radio section. Listen to it all the time, especially when cooking. They do have many French pop tunes, along with many of the classics from Edith Plaff and others.

JDP

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More on French music

I know this music is 'old', but so am I. I love to crank up Piaf, Trenet (Boum especially) and Josephine Baker (French songs).

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
513 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: More on French music

Umm maybe it was this thread I started. Your Paris playlist.

tripadvisor.com/…0

Here are several of the songs I downloaded after I got so many great suggestions.

Pink Martini's Sympathique,

Madeleine Peyroux J'Ai Deux Amours,

Stephane Grappelli Djangology,

Lanterna Down by the Seine,

Jean-Pierre Guiran & Cherie de Boer Aurore,

Gato Barbieri Milonga Triste,

Jean Corti Romane De Liffre,

Edith Piaf I got a great deal of 100 of her hits for $5. US, from Amazon, love it she reminds me of Billy Holiday.

Also got an album called Midnight in PAris featuring the music of Cole Porter and others,as well as the soundtrack to Midnight in Paris.

We really enjoy listening to these and have found we are very drawn to accordian music sounds just so Parisian.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,951 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: More on French music

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I love that "Dans la salle du bar-tabac de la rue des Martyrs" (Pigalle) - which was recommended on the linked thread.

I didn't download the "explicit" version however - but I doubt I'd know what parts of it were indeed "explicit" with my poor French! LOL

Malama Pono (take care)

Janet

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: More on French music

Madeleine Peyroux J'Ai Deux Amours is beautiful, but I prefer Josephine Baker's rendition. Maybe her 'history' and life make me feels that way.