We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this itinerary look OK? A 4-day newbie trip to Paris

Gainesville...
4 posts
Save Topic
Does this itinerary look OK? A 4-day newbie trip to Paris

Hello all! My friend and I are planning to go to Paris for four days, and after some research, this is what I came up with. We are recent college grads and trying to be reasonable with budget. Also, we want to see the Louvre but other than that, we are going to save museums for another trip.

Any suggestions and advice would be welcome! The sooner the better...we will be there in less than 2 weeks. I am totally new at planning but where I could, I included a rough time-table.

Day 1:

MORNING- Arrive in Paris-Austerlitz train station around 8:30am. Find out way to our guesthouse, drop off bags, make our way back to the city.

AFTERNOON-

1) View the Eiffel tower from the bottom

2) Pick up lunch from Rue Cler and picnic in the Champ de Mars by the foot of the tower

3) Les Invalides

4) View Arc de Triomphe from the bottom

5) Walk down Champs Elysees (we'll be back later)

6) Head over to Le Marais. Check out the street performers and view the outside of Centre Pompidou

7) Get Berthillion ice cream, and eat it in the Place des Vosges

8) Maison de Victor Hugo

9) Musee Carnavalet...maybe.

EVENING:

10) Batobus ride along the Seine

Day 2:

MORNING, 10am-2pm: Louvre

AFTERNOON, 2pm-7pm:

1) Lunch from a crepe stand or creperie

2) Jardin de Palais Royal

3) Arc du Carousel

4) Angelina's for hot chocolate and Mont Blanc gateau

5) Jardin des Tuileries: sit or walk around eating some pastries from Angelina's

6) Place de Concorde

EVENING, 7pm-12am:

7) Champs Elysees leisurely night-time stroll; Grand Palais, Petit Palais, Avenue Montaigne

8) Arc de Triomphe: climb up for the night view

9) catch the Eiffel tower light show at midnight

Day 3:

MORNING, 11am-2pm:

1) Notre Dame

2) St-Chapelle

3) Conciergerie

4) Memorial of the deportation

AFTERNOON, 2pm-8pm:

5) Panthon

6) Rue Mouffetard

7) Jardin de Luxembourg: pick up food from Rue Mouffetard and lunch in the Jardin

8) Boulevard St-Germain

EVENING, 8-10pm:

9) Tour Montparnassee

Day 4:

MORNING, 10am-2pm:

1) Sacre-Coeur

2) Wander around Montmartre

AFTERNOON, 2-8pm:

3) Canal St-Martin

4) Marche Aligre, Marche Beauvau markets

5) Pere Lachaise Graveyard

EVENING, 8-11pm:

6) Gallerie Lafayette

7) Au Printemps

8) Opera Garnier

We leave on a flight the following morning :(

Final notes:

I am open to switching these days around. I know I planned a lot. I want to see as much as possible while still not missing out on a feeling of leisure and getting a real vibe.

The reason our mornings start late is because our guesthouse is 40 mins-1 hour outside of Paris by metro, and I want to get at least 7 hours of sleep a night so I don't get sick or turn into a zombie.

Also, we get free breakfast and dinner every day at the guesthouse. I think we'll take the breakfast, but idk about the dinner...it's Paris, and even budget travelers can eat out, no? Even just a splurge for 1-2 nights?

Sao Jose Dos...
Level Contributor
2 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does this itinerary look OK? A 4-day newbie trip to Paris

Going to the Opera, walk up to Madelaine área. It is one of my favorites place on Paris!

eggplantgirl
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does this itinerary look OK? A 4-day newbie trip to Paris

I think your Berthillon ice cream will melt by the time you get to Place des Vosges! Maybe eat your ice cream on your way over to Place des Vosges :)

Amherst...
Level Contributor
259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does this itinerary look OK? A 4-day newbie trip to Paris

Spend a bit more time with a map and on line. Markets are best done in the morning. They are pretty much over by noon or one. Gal. Lafayette and Printemps close at eight most evenings, the interior of the Opera can be visited durng the day (worth doing, I think), you don't need both the Eiffel Tower and the Tour Montparnasse. I'd start at the foot of the Mouffetard (Censier-Daubenton), climb up, go to the Pantheon, down the rue Soufflot, maybe get my picnic at the Monoprix on St.-Michel, and then go to the Luxembourg. And so forth.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
69 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does this itinerary look OK? A 4-day newbie trip to Paris

Stephanie, when are you going?..and are you even following this thread? lol

Gainesville...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Does this itinerary look OK? A 4-day newbie trip to Paris

Yes I am following the thread, sorry for the delayed posting lol. I have been taking careful note of all suggestions and adjusting my ideas accordingly :) I appreciate all the great input!

I'll be in Paris from the 26th to the 30th of June.

Edited: 18 June 2012, 04:59
Gainesville...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Does this itinerary look OK? A 4-day newbie trip to Paris

I thought of including Tour Montparnasse because my friend and I do not plan on ascending the Eiffel Tower (long lines, broken lifts), but I still wanted to experience a grand, high panorama of Paris.

I switched my Berthilion ice cream stop over to Day 3, because a kind soul advised me that it was closer to Notre Dame anyway.

I also moved my plans for a crepe lunch over to Day 1 afternoon, because the same person said that I was more likely to find a good place in the Marais district, as opposed to near the Louvre.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
260 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does this itinerary look OK? A 4-day newbie trip to Paris

I'm exhausted just looking at this. I think you are going to be flying through everything and really NOT even see or feel Paris.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
69 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does this itinerary look OK? A 4-day newbie trip to Paris

I'm gonna be there the 2oth-24th, found some nice pointers in your post, i wouldn't have known about the icre cream & hot coco place :)

Gainesville...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Does this itinerary look OK? A 4-day newbie trip to Paris

You're welcome, Tarek :).

Gramou, thanks for the Mouffetard route ideas, I will follow your advice.

Also, as per your suggestions, I adjusted my Day 4. I think in the afternoon my friend and I will go see Pere Lachaise cemetary (closes at 6pm), then go check out either Galeries Lafayette or Au Printemps. Finally, we'll spend the evening eating dinner and walking around Canal St. Martin. We should call it an early night anyway because we have an early flight the next morning. Save the Opera Garnier and the morning markets for our next visit.

Mypinkparis, I agree with you that I planned too much. At least now that I listed everything I want to see, I can cut down from here. Do you have any suggestions as to what you think I should eliminate or include?

10. Re: Does this itinerary look OK? A 4-day newbie trip to Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 June 2012, 19:06