We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas versus next June in France and Rome

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
133 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas versus next June in France and Rome

Thinking about taking my two teenagers (they're well-travelled, but never Europe) to France and Italy-- either for two weeks over Christmas/New Year vacation.... or waiting until next June. I realize some attractions will be closed, but not sure I want to brave the summer crowds.

Any advice?

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas versus next June in France and Rome

The city of Paris doesn't close in the winter. Nor do any museums, monuments or stores. The only closures you may find, and they're few, are some mom-and-pop type stores that close for a few days over Christmas.

You would do the same things in winter as you'd do in the summer except that the weather will be colder. I doubt it's anything that someone who weathers Ohio winters would find unreasonably cold though. And it's more than offset by the fact that there aren't the crowds you'd find in June.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
133 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas versus next June in France and Rome

Thank you-- I was hoping for encouragement to go over the Christmas break.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas versus next June in France and Rome

Paris is beautiful at Christmas. One thing that is particularly fun is walking around looking in the decorated shop windows; and it's free!

There's a big Christmas market on the Champs Elysées that's a fun stroll too.

Edited: 19 June 2012, 18:07
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas versus next June in France and Rome

I vote for Christmas.

California
Level Contributor
6,395 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas versus next June in France and Rome

I haven't been to Paris in June, but I've been there in May and July several times and I assume the crowds are about the same. I've also been there from Christmas till mid-January. I feel like there are almost as many people in Paris between Christmas and New Year's as the summer. I can tell you that there's definitely a huge difference between July 14 and July 17th, and between Dec. 31 and Jan. 3 tho! Once the major holiday is over, the lines go way down. Paris is beautiful in December tho!

Edited: 19 June 2012, 18:26
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas versus next June in France and Rome

I've never been in Paris for Christmas but I was in Rome for Christmas day in 1974 and 2008 and I can tell you it is a blast, with the Pope delivering seasonal greetings in 87 languages.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas versus next June in France and Rome

Er... do you read the phone book to relax, thomas?

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
133 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas versus next June in France and Rome

Thanks everyone-- it's not so much the cold that might bother me (we're from Ohio, remember)--- but possibly the fewer daylight hours. Should that be a concern?

singapore
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas versus next June in France and Rome

i was in rome last christmas eve.. and i recalled that many places were closed over the next few days though some opened for 1/2 day...

Mequon, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
266 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas versus next June in France and Rome

We've been all times of the year, and I must say my favorite is during Christmas. The lights are beautiful. Yes, there are fewer daylight hours, but that shouldn't stop you from doing anything. I love to walk around at night. It's magical.

I also like the winter because I can eat heartier foods - coq au vin, boeuf bourguignon, raclette, etc. Yes, you can eat those dishes in summer, but it's more fun to duck into a café when you are cold and warm up with French onion soup.

Happy planning!