We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Paris

Bowie, Maryland
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Paris

We are going to Paris August 4 - 11, 2012. This is our first time in Paris and we are traveling from the USA. There are 5 of us, 4 adults and 1 child, we will like to rent a 2 bedroom Aparthotels or rented apartment with a kitchen as my wife likes to cook when we are on vacation. Need help on what area of Paris to stay, we intend to rent a car but not a must, the ladies want to go shopping, some of us want to walk around Paris to enjoy the architecture, we want to visit the Eiffel tower and maybe Disney if we have time. Any recommendations on area and rental apartments or apart hotels that is nice, clean and reasonably price. Is it advisable to rent a car in Paris?

Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Paris

Firstly, do not rent a car. There is a great transportation system, and driving within Paris (or more importantly parking) is a nightmare.

We recently rented a 2 bedroom apartment from Centreparis which was in the 8th arrondissement which is an upscale area. It was very convenient for transportation, shopping, sightseeing, etc.

Here's a link to my detailed review:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k552589…

California
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Paris

Unless you have extenuating circumstances that warrant a car, I can't think of a good reason to have one. The public transportation in Paris is excellent, and parking spaces are tough to find. And the traffic and zillions of one-way streets don't make driving in Paris easy either.

You're getting pretty late for booking an apartment for August, so your choices are going to be limited. I don't know much about the aparthotels, but for apatments, I would contact VIP and see if they have anything available for your dates. Save yourself some time and contact some of the reputable, recommended agencies and ask what, if anything is available then, rather than spending hours pouring over rentals that may already be booked.

http://www.vacationinparis.com/index.html

Budget digs: centreparis.com/location-paris/…index.html

Deluxe/luxury: http://www.guestapartment.com/index.html

Deluxe: http://www.parisdeluxerentals.com/

http://www.parisbestlodge.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Paris

I like to stay in the 11th or 12th when I visit. I have a deposit on this apt for next January. The owner, Nathalie, has been lovely so far and previous renters give it high marks.

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p931131

Bowie, Maryland
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Paris

Thanks. PmmcTO for your response, I will check it out. Should I worry about air conditioning in Paris at this time? We think we need it to be comfortable.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Paris

Hmmm, yeah the place I recommended isn't air conditioned. It has big floor to ceiling windows that are walkouts to the balcony, and we kept them open when we were at the apartment, but closed at night. It was fairly cool then though.

Many places in Paris aren't air conditioned, but you never know what kind of weather you might get. It's been an unseasonably cool spring in Paris - no idea what the summer holds.

You might want to look at some other places that do have A/C if it's an important factor for you. Centreparis has several other 2 bedrooms, but it should list in the amenities section whether or not there is A/C. Since they are usually on the budget end, they might not be.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Paris

I think you might be wise to follow Annette's suggestion and contact Vacation in Paris to see what air conditioned apartments they have available for your dates.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Paris

i also think it depends on what you are used to in term of weather and air conditioning.

I didn't need air conditioning in August and I am used to hot dry summer weather with longer days, it gets dark at 11pm here. But I have lots of problems with humid, hot days.

Bowie, Maryland
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Paris

What are the must see places and attractions in Paris? Where can we get discount tickets for them. Thanks.

California
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Paris

The list of "must see" places is very long for Paris, and very individual. I've put together a list posted here with some ideas:

www.ourparisforum.com/index.cgi…

As for discount tickets--you can purchase a Paris Museum Pass, which offers a "discount" if you plan to see 3 or more sites each day. Some museums have a combo ticket to see 2 museums in one day. These pairs seem to change occasionally--one time I was at the Orangerie it's "companion" was Musée d'Orsay, and once it was Musée Nissim de Commando.

10. Re: First time in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2013, 05:46