We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TGV Cabin Classes

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
118 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
TGV Cabin Classes

Hello, I am trying to purchase a sleeping cabin on TVG train City Night Line, overnight train from Paris to Munich. I've seen many reports that the RailEurope website is more expensive than www.bahn.de.

According to the RailEurope site, I want a Premier Ticket in a Deluxe Double Sleeping Car, which will have an en-suite shower and bathroom, their price for two people is, $684 Euro. I like this website, since it shows pictures of the cabins, the others do not.

On the Bahn.de website, the classes are named differently. It's called a "1st Class Bed, 2 Persons in Deluxe Double Cabin", the price is only $258 Euro. Can anyone verify that this is the same cabin?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TGV Cabin Classes

It is the same. This shows the benefit of booking direct with the operator,

Even the economy is not bad but you must use the public toilet.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TGV Cabin Classes

This is certainly not a TGV, however. But perhaps the German ICE have sleeping cars?

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
118 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TGV Cabin Classes

The Train is called City Night Line ovrnight train..I guess I thought it was TGV.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,798 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TGV Cabin Classes

TGV = Train a Grande Vitesse, a French Railways high-speed daytime train with seats.

ICE = InterCity Express, German Railways high-speed daytime train with seats.

City Night Line = the brand name for German Railways sleeper train service.

Rail Europe make up their own terminology for the American market, using words not used by the train operator themselves, or used or understood here in Europe.

I'd always book this at www.bahn.de/en which is the official German railways website. You pay online with cheap fares from €129 in a deluxe per person if you pre-book, booking opens 92 days in advance. You've clearly found the cheapest rate, suppressed or not available through Rail Europe. RE is trying to charge you the fully-flexible full-price fare.

The City Night Line 'Comfortline' sleepers are very modern, they were built by Siemens in 2007, they have 12 compartments, 3 deluxe with private shower/toiulet, 9 standard with washbasin, all useable as 1 2 or 3 berths folded out as single, double or triple. The only real difference between deluxe and standard compartments (or 'economy' as DB puts it) is the en suite shower/toulet, the beds are the same, the decor is the same, and the deluxe compartments only slightly bigger.

See diagram citynightline.de/citynightline/view/mdb/city… and the deluxe compartment diagram citynightline.de/citynightline/view/mdb/city…

5. Re: TGV Cabin Classes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2013, 05:16