We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The case for Fast Food while travelling...

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portimao, Portugal
Level Contributor
541 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
The case for Fast Food while travelling...

I have made quite a few decisions regarding my coming trip thanks to the tips of TA and this one is no exception.

Based on what I read about restaurant prices, quality (which can be bad if in tourist locations, as some said) and probable staff attitude I decided that for my short stay I won't bother wasting time staring at restaurant menus, prices and be anxious about the kind of service I'm going to get (knowing myself I'd lose my appetite if having to deal with that).

Plus, I already eat healthy at home and our food is not so different from the French (I will however purchase good chocolate as it's hard to get here). We have a coffee/café culture too, so it's no biggie missing that...We even have the rudeness. OK, it's Paris, but still my main concern is to see the sights and explore the city.

Saying that McDonald's, Pizza Hut and the like it is...You order, you sit and you know what you're going to get. (Not to mention affordability).

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The case for Fast Food while travelling...

But here's the thing, you can eat "fast food' by buying quiches, savory tarts and sandwiches in boulangeries and a soft drink and still not pay as much as in a true fast food restaurant, and it'll taste far better. Just my opinion...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The case for Fast Food while travelling...

We had some fast food in Paris with our kids. But the best "fast food" we had was a jambon fromage across the street from the train station in Vernon. It was spectacular. We ate it there, but it was wrapped in a napkin so we could have taken it with us.

I agree with Happygoin - you can get fast food that's not from the American chains pretty much anywhere in Paris.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The case for Fast Food while travelling...

I don't know where you got your information about "probable staff attitude" and "rudeness," but you certainly do not see many complaints about that on this site -- it's more the contrary.

Having said that, I would have to agree that food is my absolute last priority when I am traveling, so I understand what you are saying. However, I must back up HappyGoin's wisdom -- there is a ton of fast food available that is not the same as what you might know from your home country. And even though I said that food is my last priority, "discovery" is my #1 priority when I travel, so I am instantly attracted by anything that looks new and interesting and I would never go to the "old standbys" if at all possible.

The day I had to eat at McDonald's in Malang, Indonesia because everything else was closed was absolutely tragic.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The case for Fast Food while travelling...

Instead of McD's, why not try Paul or Brioche Doree or another non-American chain? Buy some bread, some fruit, some cheese and some meat at an open market and have a picnic in a park.

But then I won't eat at McDonalds or Pizza Hut here either.

Portimao, Portugal
Level Contributor
541 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The case for Fast Food while travelling...

I like HappyGoin idea also, actually. We do have quiches here and it's something I often had when I was working. It's healthy, nice and light. Good idea. See, that's why I love this forum. I was feeling guilty about this fast food decision...

Thanks =)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The case for Fast Food while travelling...

We will assume that this is Greenlady's first trip based on the weird ideas that she has, so she will quickly discover that Paris is much more than what she misguidely thinks.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,901 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The case for Fast Food while travelling...

The worst cafe food is still infinitely better than Int'l chain food. As for fast food... Happy is right. about bakeries. But if you like McDo, go for it. It is your holiday!!!

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The case for Fast Food while travelling...

We have a "rule" so to speak when we travel that we don't eat anywhere we have at home. If we're road tripping, that's the exception but once we get to our destination, we only eat at restaurants we can't go to at home. It's a rule my kids are used to so they don't constantly beg for McDonald's. To us, it's fun & exciting to try new places, foods, etc. That's part of the vacation to me!!

My 12 yr daughter is horribly picky and I'm praying we don't break that rule when we go to Paris and that's all she'll eat! LOL!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The case for Fast Food while travelling...

McDonald's was recently offering the McBaguette -- now that's something that you could not get at home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fURbmHdMF2E

Edited: 27 June 2012, 18:19
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The case for Fast Food while travelling...

Sorry, Greenlady-- but that's a copout.

I echo Happygoin and Kerouac - there's an enormous amount of great food out there that doesn't include relegating yourself to the rubbish bin of nourishment.

and the myth about crappy service is just that -- a myth.

and "getting away from the tourist areas" is a matter of walking a couple of blocks.