We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris trip report with kids, leisurly schedule, June 22-30

sushideluxe
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Paris trip report with kids, leisurly schedule, June 22-30

We were in Paris from June 22 to June 30, and we had an amazing vacation! I was there with my husband, daughter (age 10), son (almost 8), and mother- and father-in-law (ages 73 and 83).

We stayed at Paris Perfect's Marsanne apartment in the 6th. It was exactly as advertised and extremely conveniently located. I was very happy with that experience. My in-laws stayed around the corner at the Relais Christine.

Because I have a bad hip and foot, and because of the ages of our kids and my in-laws, we did not jam pack our days with activities. Sometimes some of us walked to destinations while others rode public transportation.

Day 1: Arrived, left our bags at the Relais Christine until the apartment was ready, which it was by 2. Had lunch, checked in, unpacked a bit, and then headed up to Pont Neuf for a Seine boat ride to get oriented. Went to bed early.

Day 2: Hopped the metro to L'Orangerie, lunch of the Champs Elysees, walked up to Arc de Triomphe. My husband took the kids to the little carnival in the Tuileries and my in-laws and I headed back to our rooms. Dinner at a cafe.

Day 3: We had arranged a private half-day Jewish immersion walking tour that took us through the Latin District to Notre Dame and into the Marais. We went to the Holocaust museum and then headed over to Place de Vosges. It was very cool. Lunch was falafels in the Marais, dinner at a café.

Day 4: My husband to the kids to Disneyland Paris while I went to Place de la Madeleine and the Opera house with my in-laws. We had lunch and then hit Galeries Lafayette. That night I made use of our kitchen and cooked the kids some pasta while the rest of us brought in Chinese takeout.

Day 5: We hit St. Chappelle, Le Conciergerie, had lunch, and headed to Notre Dame. The lines were too long so we decided to come back later in the week. Stopped at the Memorial to the Deported. Then hopped on a bus to Jardin du Luxembourg. The pay playground was a highlight of the trip for the kids. Then we walked back to our apartment, stopping at St. Sulpice. Dinner out at a local café.

Day 6: We had arranged a private half-day tour of the Louvre geared to children. It was amazing. We walked over to the Louvre, getting a lesson in the history of the architecture on the way. Hit the highlights. The guide took us down to the basement to see the foundation of the original structure. That is the only part my seven year old son enjoyed. He was very unhappy on that tour. Then we had lunch in the Tuileries and walked back to the apartment. My husband took the kids back to Luxembourg that afternoon. He and I went out to a nice restaurant that night and my in-laws babysat. We went to Fish La Boisonnerie and I had an amazing dish of cod in escargot buerre.

Day 7: The kids and I rode the metro to Musee Rodin while the others walked. The sculpture garden was gorgeous (I am a big gardener). Then we walked over to Les Invalides. The armor museum and the World War I and II section were big hits with the kids and the adults. We stopped at Napoleon’s Tomb as well. Then we headed over to Rue Cler for lunch (my husband is a big Rick Steves fan!). Then we walked up Champs de Mars toward the Tour Eiffel. We had arranged a private tour of the Tour Eiffel. It was amazing. First he took us to the bunker were the soldiers were headquartered during the wars. Then we went down a level at the tower to look at the hydrolic machinery that operates the lifts. Finally, we took the elevator up to the second level. The lines were extremely long due to one of the elevators being out of order (he said he thought it would be working again in a few weeks) but we had the reservation so we were able to go up with just a short wait. The view from level 2 was amazing. Then, he took us up to the rooftop above the Jules Verne. That was a little scary but really fun. I couldn’t face the line for the elevator back down, so we decided to hoof it back down. That was actually really fun. We did see one crazy thing—a family with three little kids was walking up, and the father was carrying a double stroller. Insanity! We had a very hot bus ride back to the apartment (it was 88 F that day). We had dinner at Café Procope that night.

Day 8: My husband took the kids to Notre Dame to walk up and down while I packed. Then, we had lunch and headed over by bus to Musee D’Orsay. As payback for Disneyland Paris, he got to go off on his own while I dealt with the kids. I let them lead us around (my son actually enjoyed that a little more than the Louvre). I could have used a little more time with the Impressionists, but it was fine. Then we took the metro back to the apartment, rested, went out to dinner.

We got home yesterday.

Things we didn’t do: Versaille, Giverny, Pompadeiu (I know I didn’t spell that properly) center, Sacre Coeur/Montmartre, Marmottan and about a million other museums, Jardin des Plantes, etc. Next time!

So, a few other takeways: The museum pass is worth every euro. We skipped so many lines (although not security at St. Chappelle). It is not impossible to get a bad meal in Paris but it isn’t easy. Walking to destinations is often easier than public transport, although the metro in particular is easy to use. I wish it was easier to get bus information because they are so easy, too. We ate desserts every day, several times a day. In general the waiters were extremely nice to us, perhaps because I used my rudimentary high school French.

Good luck planning your trip!

Rachel

Boston
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris trip report with kids, leisurly schedule, June 22-30

Great trip report - the Louvre tour you took , was it through Muse? And though it was geared towards children your son still didn't enjoy it?

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris trip report with kids, leisurly schedule, June 22-30

Thanks for sharing!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris trip report with kids, leisurly schedule, June 22-30

Dragging your kids through the Louvre reminds me of the torture of visiting Montreal in 1959 when I was 7, and may explain why I have not been back there since. :-)

Level Contributor
2,691 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris trip report with kids, leisurly schedule, June 22-30

thanks for posting the nice trip report. We went in Nov with our 10 and 14 year old and now they keep saying they are going to move to Paris someday. I hope they let me visit.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
612 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris trip report with kids, leisurly schedule, June 22-30

Great trip report. I've saved it as I'll be visiting Paris with an 8 year old next years. Merci.

sushideluxe
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris trip report with kids, leisurly schedule, June 22-30

Thanks for the feedback! I used the concierge service recommended by Paris Perfect to book our tours. I had a great experience with the service. The Louvre tour was geared to children, but my son is just not an art museum fan. He did much better at Les Invalides than the Louvre. Part of it was my fault; I brought a snack for him that he didn't like, so I think he was hungry. I also should have remembered to bring his ipod touch.

Cedar Rapids Iowa
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris trip report with kids, leisurly schedule, June 22-30

Very informative. We'll be there in August for just a few days on either end of a tour. I know we won't have time for my wish list so I will try to let Paris lead me here and there.

8. Re: Paris trip report with kids, leisurly schedule, June 22-30

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2013, 10:17