We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report- My Birthday in Paris! (Long...)

Skopje, Macedonia
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report- My Birthday in Paris! (Long...)

We just got back from a four day, adults only long weekend in Paris. DH had a Saturday board meeting, but I just got to play all day, every day. I'll post day 1 here, and the following days as replies. Thanks again to everyone who contributes to this Forum and for all the help and tips that made out trip even more special!

We arrived on Friday and after making our way through CDG, we jumped on the shuttle from terminal 1 to the RER train station. The Blue line took us directly to Gare Du Nord, where we left our luggage ( 7.50 E) for the afternoon. Then it was off to the Musee d’Orsay, which meant a ride on the metro, and a wonderful walk along the Seine. DH and I were hungry, so we grabbed two crepes from a stand nearby and began our stroll. They were so yummy, and really took the edge off our hunger and rejuvenated us from our 3 AM start to the day. We shared a ham and cheese crepe, and a nutella and banana crepe—soooooo good!

We were shocked when we arrived at the Orsay that there was NO LINE, because on our last trip we had waited more than an hour to enter. In we went, and I was once again captivated by the gorgeous setting, the sculpture hall, and of course the clock. We spent several hours strolling through the halls, revisiting old favorites, and enjoying pieces of art we had not seen before. Degas’ “Little Dancer” never fails to impress! No visit to the art museum is complete without a stop off at the book store, and sure enough this time we chose a wonderful summary book of the Impressionist pieces at the Orsay to remind us of our time and hopefully inspire the kids in their artistic endeavors. Outside again, we enjoyed the fantastic Paris day with another stroll across the river, through the Jardin des Tuileries and the Arch de Triumph du Carousel with the Pyramid in front of the Musee du Louvre off in the distance. I was thrilled to see the Ferris Wheel in the garden, and we added a ride on it and enjoying the views from above to our itinerary for later in the weekend. Back at Gare du Nord again, we grabbed our luggage and made the longish journey to Evry, met friends, and were off for dinner. The day lasts soooo long in Paris at the end of June, and before we knew it, it was 10:30 and time to head back to the hotel and to bed. By midnight we had collapsed into bed after a wonderful day in beautiful Paris.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Trip Report- My Birthday in Paris! (Long...)

Oh, if they were paying for the hotel, definitely it was worth it!

Perugia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Trip Report- My Birthday in Paris! (Long...)

"Several months ago, I had looked online to see what price the tickets for the ballet were selling for (it’s my birthday after all), but 200 E per ticket was just beyond our means."

Where did you look? Ballet tickets are much cheaper than for the opera, I think the highest price is now 92 Euros (a small increase from the earlier 87 Euro cap) unless it's for special occasions like New Year's Eve. For La Fille Mal Gardee which I'm assuming is what you would have looked at, the very best seats were 75 Euros each. If you decide to go again, do look only at the official site, they now have a system for resales to stop scalping.

Enjoyed your report and belated birthday greetings! Which ballet DVD did you buy?

Edited: 04 July 2012, 11:28
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Trip Report- My Birthday in Paris! (Long...)

Thanks for your wonderful trip report. I just loved this part...

<<The wonderful Frenchman working there giggled when I said I was lost, and asked whether or not my family was looking for me. When I answered no, he replied, “then you’re not really lost, you’re just wandering in Paris.” >>

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
33 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Trip Report- My Birthday in Paris! (Long...)

What a great report, thanks for going to that effort.

I leave for Paris in four weeks. Bring it on!

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Trip Report- My Birthday in Paris! (Long...)

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this report. I will be visiting Paris for my Birthday in November and am super excited. I absolutely loved the idea of buying the items for your picnic and sharing the evening with your friends. Made me want to be one of them toasting and singing with you. I've been questioning if I should cut the D'orsay out of my itinerary and after reading your post, it solidly stays!

Skopje, Macedonia
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Trip Report- My Birthday in Paris! (Long...)

Interesting afds- even the tour guide at the Opera House said tickets start at 150 Euros! I'll keep your advice in mind for next time.

Leo Delibes "Coppelia," Ecole de Danse de l'Opera national de Paris is what's written on the front of the DVD I bought. My kids and I enjoyed watching it together when we returned home.

Skopje, Macedonia
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Trip Report- My Birthday in Paris! (Long...)

Boston- months ago, when we began planning our second trip to Paris, I asked my husband what he was interested in seeing this time or seeing again. His immediate response was the Musee de Orsay. In our opinion, and we are lovers of art and museums, it REALLY is that good!

Perugia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Trip Report- My Birthday in Paris! (Long...)

Perhaps the guide thought you were interested in opera? Those tickets are extremely expensive. If you look at the website -http://www.operadeparis.fr/saison_2012_2013/Ballets/

and click on each ballet, you can see the ticket prices. Apart from New Year's Eve, only the gala in honour of Nureyev has tickets costing more than 92 Euros. If you buy tickets when booking opens, you have a fair chance of getting cheaper seats.

The POB has produced several excellent DVDs, Coppelia is the only one I don't own.

Skopje, Macedonia
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Trip Report- My Birthday in Paris! (Long...)

We enjoyed this DVD so I'll definitely consider buying another one next time we're there. And maybe we'll splurge for the ballet tickets too! :)

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,754 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Trip Report- My Birthday in Paris! (Long...)

Lovely trip report! It is extremely rare for Notre Dame to be closed to the public. The ceremony you saw that day was a priest ordination:

…catholique.fr/Une-bonne-nouvelle-ca-se-part…