We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help choosing between 2 apartments

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
426 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
help choosing between 2 apartments

We've looked for apartments and have it narrowed it down to these two:

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p879761a

http://www.vrbo.com/355602

There are 4 of us (plus a small baby), and we are looking for 2 nice bedrooms & bathrooms, which both units seem to have. Price is the exact same. Both seem to be in good locations.

Do you think one of them will be a better pick than the other? 2 of us have been to Paris a few times, and 2 of us are first-time visitors.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
260 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help choosing between 2 apartments

Although I adore the green space and kitchen of the Le Marais apartment, this is brand new listing and there are no reviews. Also, if you are charging over $400 per night, I would think you could get a description of the property. Not one word....and HA gives you ample space to describe your property.

The Luxembourg on vrbo is beautiful. It has some favorable reviews, elevator, a crib and air conditioning, which would be a bonus if traveling during summer. imo, I would go with the 2nd one. Have fun!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,457 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help choosing between 2 apartments

I agree with Mypinkparis ... I love the position of the Marais apartment and the garden but why are there no photos of the bathrooms? Is there a problem with them? Only one bedroom is pictured also. The benefit of the Luxembourge to me is simple ... two couples=two sofas ... no one gets stuck with the little chairs, silly I know but I would consider that. Some nights you will want to veg out in the lounge, may as well everyone be comfortable.

Edited: 05 July 2012, 05:09
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help choosing between 2 apartments

Please be aware that "4 of us (plus a small baby)" is actually 5 people. The homeaway apartment says that it sleeps 4. You must include the baby in your booking as they still count as a person even if they don't need a bed.

There was a thread recently where a poster was turned away because she hadn't specified that they were a couple with a child and the room she booked was only for 2 people.

Of course the homeaway apartment may still be happy to accept your booking for 5 when notify them of the correct number of people. The other apartment says it will sleep 4-6 so you're ok there.

I would only take an apartment without reviews if you were VERY confident of the agency. I would also want to see photos of the second bedroom/bathroom in the homeaway apartment. It could cause some tension if the second bedroom is considerably smaller or has twin beds or something else you don't know about.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,850 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help choosing between 2 apartments

First one does have a lovely garden, but no a/c.. second one has no garden but has a/c.

First one is not suitable if baby is crawling age,, I would be afraid of him or her climbing up or down stairs and falling off ( no railing,, so you can't even block it with anything).

First one says area attractions include "disco bar" ,,could that ever be a noise issue? Don't know as there are no reviews.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,850 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help choosing between 2 apartments

Also,second one includes a baby crib,,even if baby sleeps with you, its nice to have a crib to put them down in for a nap( so they don't roll on floor etc|) and to change their diapers etc.. a safe place at least if you need to put baby down while you shower etc.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help choosing between 2 apartments

I agree with the others. The vrbo one. The only derogatory in the otherwise wonderful reviews are negligible.

Many of the old buildings in Paris either have no elevators, or if they do have them, they're incredibly small. There is an elevator in a building where I rented a vacation apartment that you actually had to crab crawl (sideways) to get in. It wasn't even shoulder-width wide! So that's only a negative to a claustrophobic. To us, it was just funny.

The other negative mentioned was a less-than-charming living room. Well, that's subjective, so I wouldn't consider that.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
426 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help choosing between 2 apartments

Thanks for the info all. I have been in email touch with both owners and they have both been responding quickly. The HomeAway owner did send more pics including the bathrooms, and it looks like a very nice apt. However, the lack of even a single review does cause a little concern (and that he just joined HomeAway this year). He has also been emailing me to ask if we've made a decision yet. Not sure if that's being pushy, or just being a responsive owner.

I will have to confirm with the VRBO person that a young baby would be allowed in the apt.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,850 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help choosing between 2 apartments

The VRBO apartment supplies a baby crib..so I imagine a baby is allowed,it is the Homeaway one that does not say it has a crib,

9. Re: help choosing between 2 apartments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2013, 10:15