We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unusual Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast
Level Contributor
68 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Unusual Paris

I will be going to Paris at the beginning of August with my nineteen year old daughter and would so appreciate ideas of unusual things we should do or vist as we've been there before and have 'done' most of the tourist sites. Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unusual Paris

I love these posts because there is SO much more to Paris than the 6 or 8 monuments and museums that all first-time visitors see. There are many smaller museums that are arguably more interesting than the Louvre (at least to this art heathen). The Nissim di Camondo and Cognacq-Jay come immediately to mind, as they're two of my favorites.

There is the Promenade Plantée, the Jardin des Plantes and the Chateau de Vincennes...oh the list goes on and on:) What a fun trip you'll have figuring out what to see with the embarrassment of riches to choose from.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unusual Paris

Try the Catacombs and Les Egouts. How about the Musee Grevin?

http://www.catacombes-de-paris.fr/english.htm

paris.fr/loisirs/musees-expos/musee-des-egou…

http://www.grevin.com

Not as odd as the above but I enjoyed the Musee Clemenceau. It's the great man's apartment left exactly as it was the day he died. We spent about 2 hours and not another soul was there.

http://www.musee-clemenceau.fr/en/

Florida
Level Contributor
17,083 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unusual Paris

plenty of material here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?scope=2&ff=14&geo=187147&q=off+beaten+path&returnTo=__2F__&sub-search.x=14&sub-search.y=9

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unusual Paris

Teens are often delighted by rue Dénoyez: anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

Exploring the Mouzaïa might also be of interest just because it looks so different from the central areas of Paris: anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,078 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unusual Paris

my favorite place that most of my tourist friends never got to is St. Denis -- easily reached by metro

and I really enjoyed a 'street art' or graffiti self guided walk I did in the 19th

and the Albert Kahn Musee and Gardens are not well known or traveled. you can see all of these on www.janettravels.wordpress.com. the garden is under 'Secret Gardens'

you may have done this, but if you haven't, a nighttime stroll across Pont Alexandre on the hour when the Eiffel Tower sparkles is lovely as is a walk around Notre Dame lit up at night.

there are lots of self guided walks in various guidebooks and books devoted to that subject -- choose some in areas you haven't seen. we did an architecture walk in the 16th that was amazing and enjoyed Butte aux Cailles .

you can also just pick various parks and walk in the area

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,727 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unusual Paris

What about a cooking class? When our DD graduated from high school, we went and did a macaron class one day and it was a hit with both of us! We used Cookin With Class and were very pleased. They have a variety of classes, including full day ones. Ours was just a half day which was perfect for us.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unusual Paris

I like to randomly choose a metro stop that I've never gone to or heard of, and check out what's there.

On my last trip, for example, I explored Chateau Rouge. It was so different from the rest of Paris that I felt as if I'd suddenly been magically transported to Africa.

It's also fun to visit the markets and flea markets around Paris.

There are also any number of weird little museums: a fan museum, one devoted to magic, a doll museum and a medical museum full of oddities preserved in bottles and cases, among others. (I've been wanting to check out that last one, but I can't find anyone who will go with me!)

Then there's the musée de Cluny, the basilica of St. Denis (with centuries' worth of the tombs of kings and queens of France, although their remains were scattered and destroyed during the French Revolution), and many other attractions that most people don't see the first time around.

And, of course, there's also the possiblity of just wandering. I almost always stumble on something interesting along the way.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unusual Paris

Don't know where you are staying, but take the Metro to Canal St Martin area - Republique is an easy station. It's always green and cool there along the Canal, and there are lots of new cafes and shops to investigate.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
590 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unusual Paris

This may not count as "unusual" - but I loved the residential feel of the area when I ventured to the Musee Marmottan on one trip. (http://www.marmottan.com/index2010_uk.asp)

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,992 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unusual Paris

I decided to get off the metro at the Bellevile stop one day. I walked up the hill and into the Parc de Belleville and saw the city from its highest point! Loved walking around the area and found a good little bio grocery store on the rue de Belleville where i put together a little picnic for the Parc. The nice clerk even let me wash my produce in the restroom sink. I remember days like this so much more clearly than walks past big monuments.

Next trip -- Parc des Buttes Chaumont.