We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weatherproofing oneself

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Topic
Weatherproofing oneself

Hey,

My family and I are going to London and Paris Christmas week. What is recommended for coats and shoes and does anyone know of some websites we can shop for this. We have been to New York for Thanksgiving and really did no special prep, just brought coats. Probably could have used some rain boots.

thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,721 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weatherproofing oneself

New York is a good guide -- it is more likely to be chilly and rainy than cold and snowy -- but of course from year to year things differ. I was there till Dec 1 this year with just a light weight trench coat and regular shoes.

For late December I would be sure to have a good rain resistant moderately warm coat that I could layer with a good base layer and cashmere sweater or polartek. Having shoes or boots that are rain resistant is a good idea.

California
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weatherproofing oneself

We go to Paris almost every year in the winter (Dec-Feb). I've never taken rain boots along and do just fine. I take two pairs of comfortable enclosed shoes (sometimes I've sprayed them with water repellant, sometimes not), and if one gets wet I can wear the other pair while they dry out. A nice warm coat is essential (mine is a wool blend with Thermax lining). I always use gloves and scarves, and take along long silk thermals to add for an extra layer of warmth if it's particularly cold.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,771 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weatherproofing oneself

What you need are layers!!

Although the weather at that time of year can be cold, wet, drizzly, rarely but possibly snowy, you won't be outside a lot

However you wil be in and out of shops, museums, cafes, bars, restaurants, pubs etc, etc. Heavy coats can be a bit of a nuisance, especially in London on the tube where it can get very stuffy and humid.

Lightweight, well insulated, breathable fabrics are the best, and stout shoes of some kind as both cities lend themselves to lots and lots of walking!

Grippy soles would be good too, in case of snow, hail or ice, but most 'residents' and workers in London would rarely be seen wearing anything other than 'city' style shoes, except for in the worst weather....

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weatherproofing oneself

Another recommendation for the ubiquitous layers!

We spent the Thanksgiving weekend in London one year and were really glad to have our waterproof down coats along. Though it poured down rain most of the time, we didn't need boots, just fairly waterproof shoes.

You have inquired previously and the responses remain the same.

Being natives of the south, you may need more than those used to cold winters to be comfortable while out and about, such as a cashmere sweater or long underwear in addition to very warm outerwear.

LLBean, LandsEnd, Eddie Bauer, are all excellent resources for warm outerwear. If you sign up, on LandsEnd in particular, you'll receive notices of sales, special discounts, free shipping. I like Wintersilks for silk underwear, but also like Cuddlduds.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weatherproofing oneself

If budget is of concern, and you don't plan on getting much use, look at eBay for lightly used items. When I took my you boys to Alaska I bought them high quality rain gear on eBay which they quickly grew out of after the trip. Llbean and landsend are solid choices.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weatherproofing oneself

I travel to Paris frequently in the winter, and my secret weapon is silk long underwear. It's lightweight, super warm but not at all bulky. I bring two pair. I wear them as pajamas as well as during the day, if necessary. They dry in a snap and take up virtually no room in the suitcase.

You can find them at Lands End or WinterSilks. Both have websites.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,721 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weatherproofing oneself

my vote for silks too. The pants really turn jean weight fabric into warm pants or make wool pants really warm enough for very gold weather. I have red silk turtleneck that can serve as both a base layer and as a layer under a sweater or even on its own if it is warmer than expected.

silk long johns take no space. a cashmere turtleneck also takes little space and really adds heat when needed but breathes.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,628 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weatherproofing oneself

You need winter clothes for Paris. We've had a not-inconsiderable amount of snow 3 of the last 4 winters -- and it's been more than cold enough to snow, whether there was snow on the ground or not.

This December was an exception -- but a lightweight coat wouldn't have been nearly warm enough this December, either -- particularly for someone unaccustomed to winter weather.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weatherproofing oneself

Being from the south as well, I plan to take my mid-length down coat for my trip from mid-Nov to mid-Dec. One thing I like about down is that while it's a little bit bulky to carry when you take it off, it's light and stuffable!

Now a question about the silks under jeans. I can see wearing them for warmth when outside - but don't you get overheated when inside, such as at a museum. Or do you pop in the bathroom and take them off?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,628 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weatherproofing oneself

Nope. The silks are amazingly adaptable.