We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Macy's Equivalent in Paris?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Macy's Equivalent in Paris?

My husband wonders if there is a store similar to Macy's in Paris where he might buy a jacket? In other words, not super $$$$ designer, but not too cheesy, either. Any suggestions?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Macy's Equivalent in Paris?

The two big department stores are Printemps and Galeries Lafayette. Runner up department stores are the BHV and the Bon Marché.

Right now the summer sales are on.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Macy's Equivalent in Paris?

Your husband might enjoy checking out the basement at BHV if he stops in to look for a jacket. I've known men to get lost for days down there...:)

Level Contributor
7,832 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Macy's Equivalent in Paris?

I would start at Galeries Lafayette and be sure to take in the copola in the center...I love that store but it is CRAZY!!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,558 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Macy's Equivalent in Paris?

There used to be a number of "grands magasins" (very large, multi-building department stores) in Paris, but now there are few. Printemps and Galeries Lafayette, which are right next to each other behind the Opéra Garnier (the old opera) are the main ones. Le Bon Marché on the Left Bank is another, which is large but much smaller than the main two. Samaritaine closed after LVMH tries to make it snooty and failed; they then found "building-code violations" that required them to close the store, and they'll probably convert it into something from which more cash can be extracted.

BHV is still in business. Like the old Samaritaine, it has a fabulous basement dedicated to tools and DIY building supplies, well worth a visit if you like that stuff. It's the smallest of the more historically significant department stores, but it's a nice store. It's across the street from the Paris city hall (Hôtel de Ville).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,787 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Macy's Equivalent in Paris?

and none of these are as cheap as Macy's -- they are filled with same old same old 'name brands' you can get anywhere -- you can however get deals in the sales. in France sales are regulated so that they only occur occasionally -- I think twice a year but am not sure on that -- like anywhere you have to watch out for 'sale merchandise'

when my daughter was pregnant I bought some really cute things for the baby at Layfayette which were deeply reduced. I had been shopping for several weeks without buying anything and suddenly the things I had sort of singled out were about half price -- so you might get an actual bargain if you buy during the sales

California
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Macy's Equivalent in Paris?

Galleries Lafayette should have a section that isn't too "super $$$$ designer" as you say, but you might have better luck at BHV Homme--it's in a separate building on rue de la Verrerie behind the main store. I haven't been into a C&A, but from what I've heard they have a less expensive selection. There's one of those at 126 rue du Rivoli.

Euromanic--I thought the Samaritaine project was pretty much a done deal--a Japanese company purchased it and is converting it into offices/hotel/social housing apartments?

California
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Macy's Equivalent in Paris?

Yes Janet, the sales (soldes) are twice a year, starting in January and June, lasting for 5 weeks each. You don't have to "watch out for 'sale merchandise'" tho, because regulations stipulate that the items on sale must be actual stock that has been offered at full price in the store, and not cheap goods brought in specially for the sale.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Macy's Equivalent in Paris?

Annette, the Samaritaine building facing the Seine will become a 5-star hotel, but the city of Paris has mandated that the rest of the buildings be returned to similar commercial activites as in the past. I'm pretty sure we can expect some sort of shopping mall.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,814 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Macy's Equivalent in Paris?

I agree with Anette, BHV Homme is likely to be the most affordable, but notnyet cheesy of the Paris Dept Stores. However, the Bon Marche does have their own house brand, Balthazar, that is a good deal for the quality you get.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Macy's Equivalent in Paris?

Actually, if the truth be known, I just bought some very nice linen shirts at Monoprix this week which I certainly would not have bought if they were not 50% off.