We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are we missing?

Sydney
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What are we missing?

We are currently in Paris for 4 days and to be truthful we are a bit dissapointed with the place.

We had such high expectations that somehow feel we are missing the true essence of Paris.

I think it has been the big attractions that have been a let down?

The Eiffel tower, Notre Dame, The Louvre have been awful due to the huge crowds and massive queues at nearly every point of intrest. We have queued at a few places only to find that was the pre queue bag search only to go in and find another mass of hardy souls who must have more patience than us.

Montmarte was the biggest dissapointment, just one big tat fest and "art" hawkers trying to fleece the good will of tourists

I think it is because we came in high season, would never consider coming this time of year again.

We enjoyed strolling around the Jardin du Luxembourg and the Ile Saint Louis but the rest has been anything but enjoyable. We live in a big city but the crowds are insane for everthing.

We were thinking of going to Versailles tomorrow but might give it a miss now.

Can anyone suggest how we might rekindle our initial excitement for our last day tomorrow????

One last point is the Parisians have been some of the most friendly people we have encountered in the shops and restaurants which debunks the myth of the in polite Frenchman in Paris :)

Pantin
Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
31. Re: What are we missing?

A lot of times, the problem is seeing a city in the wrong season or the wrong weather. I knew someone who didn't appreciate Paris until he saw it in the rain.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,774 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: What are we missing?

Well, he would love it at the moment :(

Springfield...
Level Contributor
332 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: What are we missing?

Thank You Kerouac 2 for the beautiful photos again. It makes my heart yearn for Paris.

as always,

Phyllis

dallas
Level Contributor
477 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: What are we missing?

Although we loved Paris the major sites are crowded, which is to be expected. Some of the places we went that were not the " big" touristy sites were both wonderful and not crowded. Example, Jacquemart Andre Museum, Parc Monceau, Cluny Museum, Carnavalet Museum, Petit Palais, Conciergerie to mention a few. Check them out.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: What are we missing?

I don't really think of Paris as a great place to see "stuff" in the way that London or Florence or Washington, D.C. are. I'm not that crazy about the museums. But it's a great place for people-watching both for the French and because it is really, I think, the capital of the world. Kind of like New York but with nice people and really good inexpensive wine. I don't think the cafe life in Paris is quite what it used to be but still nice provided it isn't raining too hard.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,707 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: What are we missing?

Some have already been mentioned but on our last trip in late June/early July 2009 my wife and I enjoyed:

- Jacquemart Andre Museum... go mid afternoon and have tea on their terrace

- Musee Marmottan

- Musee Clemenceau

- Musee Delacroix

- Resistance Museum & General Leclerc Museum - interesting spot above Montparnasse station off the Jardin Atlantique... few tourists will ever find it!

None were busy and none had a line. We were the only people at the Clemenceau museum and had it to ourselves for 2 hours. The Delacroix museum only had 2 other visitors while we were there.

Pere LaChaise is so big it will never be crowded. Find a shady square somewhere and sit down for a cold glass of beer or a coffee ... Paris isn't all about seeing big sites!

Edited: 08 July 2012, 15:15
wernersville, pa
Level Contributor
302 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: What are we missing?

Take the train to Chartres. It's a very interesting medieval town apart from the fantastic cathedral.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,965 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: What are we missing?

A bit late now, let's hope the OP has found something good to do on their last day TODAY!

Sydney
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: What are we missing?

Good evening folks.

Quite overwhelmed by the responses to my original post, thanks to all who gave their opinions and insight.

We had a more enjoyable day today after keeping clear of the souvenir shops and "human statues"!!

We had a leisurely wak from Nation station to the markets near Bastille, lots of smells and colour to be seen.

We then found our way to the Place des Vosges which was good fun listening to some entertaing buskers and seeing the unusual artworks on display within the many archway shops. We strolled around this district before wandering into the Pompidou centre but only fleetingly.

The day was punctuated with various coffee stops and more random strolling up back streets and laneways.

We are going out tonight on a river cruise after eating locally to where we are staying.

To sum up my impressions of our Paris stay I can really see why certain people enjoy the place there is plenty of history and ambience but it just never quite inspired me as a city. I am not a "stroller" , I prefer the buzz of a New York London or Hong Kong, but that's just me. For everyone that loves Paris, good for you and happy travels everyone :)

Essex
Level Contributor
27,965 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: What are we missing?

Glad you have had a day that worked better, even if just 'strolling' is not quite your thing!

At least at home you are in another 'buzzy' city, which has long been one of my favourites!

Funny that you didn't like the crowds in Paris though, and yet they are no worse IMO than London or New York and possibly better than in Hong Kong!!

Anyway, if we all liked the same things, the World would be a dull place indeed!

Maybe Paris in the Winter in the run-up to Christmas would suit you more!

Happy Travels to you

EW