We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single lady traveller

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Single lady traveller

Just wondering if it is safer for a single lady travelling along to stay in a hotel in Paris or a Holiday rental. I assume a Hotel would be safer as there are always staff on duty and the hotel rooms would be more secure.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,503 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single lady traveller

I don't think either has any danger. Hotels have staff on duty, but the entry door to an apartment is usually much better secured than a hotel room door.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single lady traveller

I doubt an apartment is less secure than a hotel room.

As mentioned, every apartment building entrance requires a code to enter, then usually a key or code to get beyond the inner door. Doors to apartments also have sophisticated locks with keys that cannot be duplicated. Some people take extra precautions of not staying on the ground floor and/or leaving the windows locked at all times.

Not that it's a risk, but the larger the hotel the more staff that has access to your room.

Traveling alone, you may prefer a hotel for front desk/concierge assistance, having breakfast with other guests, etc.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single lady traveller

One of the reasons I prefer to stay in non serviced apartments is so that I don't have to put up with an endless stream of housekeepers, mini bar checkers, or maintenance people coming into my hotel room at inopportune moments.

Yes they do knock first and yes they MOSTLY respect "Do not disturb" signs and I know that they are only doing their job and have very little interest in me or my belongings but I've been walked in on so many times that I would much rather make my own bed than have someone interupt my shower or sleep again.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single lady traveller

The first time I travelled alone I stayed in a hotel and it took me a while to get comfortable with being alone in an apartment.

From a safety point of view I don't think there is a difference. Paris is a very safe city for a single woman.

I was never alone at home, so I needed that knowledge of human contact, daily.

Since than I have got confident staying alone in studios,.... Wi-Fi and telephone are essential. Lots of apartments have free calls included.

Or maybe a compromise would be an apart hotel like Cidadines with a reception.

https:/…

or this one. I have never used them , so it is information only.

http://www.paris-serviced-apartments.com/

One trip last year I was ill for three days and that was miserable! Still I love the freedom and space of apartments.

Denise

Love from Paris.

Edited: 08 July 2012, 07:17
the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,221 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single lady traveller

I like room service. And having my bed made every day. But if I'm going for five days or more, I start to get REALLY sick of restaurants, so for long weekends I prefer a hotel, for a week, an apartment.

As a single female, I agree with Granma, borh are safe.

Edited: 08 July 2012, 11:11
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single lady traveller

Thank you for the great replies.

As djkbooks mentioned every apartment building entrance requires a code to enter, then usually a key or code to get beyond the inner door. Doors to apartments also have sophisticated locks with keys that cannot be duplicated. I was not thinking of this as have not done much travelling. I have been reading the best areas to stay are around the 6th & 7th Arrondissement. Am I better of staying on the left or righ backs of the Seine?

I really like the idea of hotels having concierge and staff on duty such as tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g187147-d197… but also love the below charming little Studio Apartments which are very reasonable for a one week stay.

tripadvisor.com.au/VacationRentalReview-g187…

tripadvisor.com.au/VacationRentalReview-g187…

or even a B & B

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g187147-d218…

Edited: 08 July 2012, 11:36
Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single lady traveller

As a solo traveling female, I usually stay in an apartment in the 12th District. It's close enough to everything that a quick ride on the Metro (or a 15 minute walk to the Seine) puts you close enough to many of the sights. It's also in a less touristy area and you get a good feel for the "real" Paris. And as it isn't in a touristy area, you have more options for inexpensive dining and shopping (which is rare near the Champs Elysees).

If you're looking for a B&B, I highly recommend Paris At Home:

http://parisathome.fr/

I've rented through them twice now and the experience has been wonderful!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Single lady traveller

In addition to the expensive locks and steel door frames apartments have take a look at a couple of these photos:

…photobucket.com/albums/…

I've never seen things like this in Canada... you'll often find ironwork protecting exposed windows from anyone who might want to use them to enter by sidling along the gutter from the next apartment.

…photobucket.com/albums/…

In the pic above you can see 2 windows with bars. That's because the windows to their immediate left are in a common hallway/stairway and could be used by a burglar... barring the windows closest makes it impossible to enter that way.

So you are likely to be very safe in a Paris apartment. The photos are from one we stayed in... there was also a keycode lock to get into the courtyard and just inside the massive doors was the door to the concierge's apartment.... her door was almost always open and very little escaped her eye! ;^)

If safety really is a big concern... stay on Ile St Louis. I love it there but as it also has the highest real estate prices per square meter in Paris I suspect there is a police presence commensurate with that.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,186 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Single lady traveller

Why don't you try an Hotel in London and an Appartment in Paris - or vice versa?

Being as you are visiting both destinations, you have a great chance to find out what works best for you!!!!

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Single lady traveller

I did forget to mention that I felt extremely safe in the apartment. As previously mentioned, the majority of the buildings do have key codes to enter them.