We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go between time in Paris and Barcelona??

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
Where to go between time in Paris and Barcelona??

I am a 22 year old recent college graduate traveling with my best friend through Europe the beginning to mid August. We are going to AMsterdam, Paris, and then ending in Barcelona. We have 3 days and 3 nights in between Paris and Barcelona and are looking for a beautiful/fun/not too expensive place to travel to. We love beautiful sights, beaches (not a must), not too hot, fun night life and amazing culture and food. Does anyone have any ideas?? I am very up for anything!

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
548 Reviews
from US$72.50*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
658 Reviews
from US$73.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,213 Reviews
from US$121.30*
Eiffel Tower and Louvre Museum...
821 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,386 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go between time in Paris and Barcelona??

What about San Sebastian, Spain?

It has beautiful beaches, great food and a lively old town area. Check for cheap flights from Paris or you can take the TGV - or idTGV to Hendaye and a local train into Spain. You're too late to get the best train fares (which go on sale 90 days in advance) but you may still be able to find a discount fare.

Though connections to Barcelona aren't so good. There are discussions about this if you search the San Sebastian and Barcelona Forums.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Hendaye
Hendaye
Basque Country, France
Barcelona
Barcelona
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go between time in Paris and Barcelona??

Nice, maybe...or another spot along the French Riviera?

United States
Level Contributor
9,380 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go between time in Paris and Barcelona??

With three major cities already on your itinerary I would suggest a more low key place on the coast...could be either French or a very beautiful area sort of in the direction you will be going is Costa Brava just near France. Some beautiful towns just inland with nice beach access or right on the beach. It will be crowded everywhere in France and Spain in August. You might make some inquiries to the experts on that area on the Costa Brava forum. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Brava
Costa Brava
Province of Girona, Spain
France
France
Europe
Spain
Spain
Europe
los angeles
Level Contributor
9,335 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go between time in Paris and Barcelona??

How much time are you already allowing for each of the 3 cities? Make sure you are devotong enough time to each before you add a 4th.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go between time in Paris and Barcelona??

Nice and the French Riviera are on the opposite side of France from any line that connects Paris with Barcelona....and the Riviera will never, ever be described as budget.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Barcelona
Barcelona
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go between time in Paris and Barcelona??

But they all have airports. The trip is most likely much too close to get any discount train fare, and the low-cost air tix would probably be less expensive anyway. There are "not too expensive" lodging options in Nice that would fit in their category, and the area certainly has everything else they are looking for. I wish them well, and I'd certainly give the area a look. We were there a couple of months ago, had a wonderful time, and certainly found the city as "budget-friendly" as any of the others we visited....

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go between time in Paris and Barcelona??

Perpignan or Sete would be pleasant beach choices, the first one more lively than the second one, and quite close to Barcelone.

Other options on the Atlantic Coast (i.e. more time to join Barcelone afterwards) could be Bordeaux (not on ocean though) or Biarritz.

Mentioned in this post
Perpignan
Perpignan
Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Sete
Sete
Herault, France
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Biarritz
Biarritz
Basque Country, France
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go between time in Paris and Barcelona??

but cheap airfares are long-gone, too, by this date -- and it still doesn't make any sense to go 600km the wrong direction to stay on a straight line.

I second Sete, Perpignan, and Biarritz -- they're all cheaper, on the way, and easier to get to from Paris and Barcelona.

Mentioned in this post
Sete
Sete
Herault, France
Perpignan
Perpignan
Biarritz
Biarritz
Basque Country, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Barcelona
Barcelona
Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
4,065 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go between time in Paris and Barcelona??

I'd go for Perpignan on the Med or St-Jean-de-Luz on the Atlantic. Personally, I think Biarritz is a little old and tired, but St-Jean-de-Luz (just south of it) is beautiful with a great beach, nightlife, good restaurants, day boat trips, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Perpignan
Perpignan
Saint-Jean-de-Luz
Saint-Jean-de-Luz
Basque Country, France
Biarritz
Biarritz
Basque Country, France
the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,588 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go between time in Paris and Barcelona??

Lots and lots of young French adults go to Cadeques. It is an easy bus ride north of Barcelona. A little cove on a beach. Dali used to live there. It is fun, beautiful and cheap

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona