We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catacombs / Seine River dinner cruise

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Catacombs / Seine River dinner cruise

Hi we have a couple of days in Paris with 2 teenage kids who have had enough of historical buildings, chateaus etc. we thought the Catacombs might be interesting for them? Also saw some comments re River Seine dinner cruises, is there a a particular company that is recommended and is this suitable for a 13 and 15 year old?

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catacombs / Seine River dinner cruise

Not sure about the Seine dinner cruise for your teens, but they should really like the Catacombs. Unless they're very different from all of the teens I've taken there, it will be a big hit!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Catacombs / Seine River dinner cruise

We just came back from a 10 day trip and the Catacombs was a huge hit for all of us. My 8 year old loved it. We were too late to get in one day though. They stop taking people in at 4 but there is a line so go early!! We skipped the dinner cruise to walk around and explore but I heard great things about that as well!!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,849 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catacombs / Seine River dinner cruise

Definitely visit the Catacombs, I'd skip the dinner cruise but worth doing a guided trip instead as this a really nice way to see the city and have a sit down for a while, too!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catacombs / Seine River dinner cruise

Or you can just take a cruise on the river without dinner - then go somewhere else to eat.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,820 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Catacombs / Seine River dinner cruise

The Catacombs are moderately interesting. I'd say that they are slightly more interesting for slightly younger kids, but teenagers find them fairly cool, too. The lines to get in are very long, however, and it does involve climbing nine stories up and down spiral stone staircases, plus a walk of nearly a mile underground. Kids who like spooky stuff will enjoy it the most, of course. People who are very tall or claustrophobic might want to avoid the Catacombs. There is plenty of room laterally but it might still make some people uncomfortable (you're way underground, after all), and the ceiling is low in a few spots and it's easy to hit your head if you're tall.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Catacombs / Seine River dinner cruise

I took a couple of 21 year old girls there. I don't remember long lines, but I think it was in the second week of June. They enjoyed it, took pictures although it was forbidden. It took quite a while to get through, and when you come out above ground, you are in a different place than where you started. If you are at all squeemish about bones, don't go. There are acres and acres, it seems. In fact, it goes on interminably. Nice place to cool off on a hot day!

see

http://www.catacombes-de-paris.fr/english.htm

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Catacombs / Seine River dinner cruise

I have read that the dinner on these dinner cruises is nothing to write home about. you'd be better off just catching a Bateau Mouche cruise, and dining later. you'll be wanting to view the lovely Seine scene, not be looking down at your middling plate of food.

see

http://www.bateaux-mouches.fr/en/

for details in English.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Catacombs / Seine River dinner cruise

Dinner cruise can be long and boring for teens, but you know your kids best. I bet they would like the catacombs and will want to share these pictures with friends at home. The cure for chateaux and historical monument overload is outdoor activities. Would you consider a bike tour with Fat Tire or a private individualized tour with Frenchmystiquetours.com (through the two nice bois), velib it on your own, or a segway tour, or just grab a frisbee and go to a park. The day is long, you can get a bite and still catch a night boat tour.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Catacombs / Seine River dinner cruise

Thankyou all so much for your suggestions. Just for information for anyone else who searches for Catacombs, we ended up going and found it quite fascinating. We were there 45 minutes before opening time and just as we arrived the line started to build up so we were glad that we got there when we did. There were about 100 people ahead of us in the queue so we thought we would get in right on opening, but in fact there were a never ending line of pre-paid tour participants who got in ahead of us so we waited for about 2 hours all up. I would hate to have arrived any later as they only seemed to let in about 10 people every 10 or 15 minutes and to be honest it would not be worth queuing for 2 hours to get in. We were there on July 10th.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Catacombs / Seine River dinner cruise

We were there last week the Q was torture! We waited 2.5hrs by the time we actually entered I think the mood had left and we rushed it just to get above ground and a seat!

Although we were very lucky as this was the only Q we had to wait in during our stay in Paris.

Had 2 teens with us,1 of whom was desperate to go due to the Catacombs being used in some computer game he had played.