We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Euros on arrival at CDG

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CA. USA
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Getting Euros on arrival at CDG

In 2007 we flew into Charles de Gaulle (CDG) airport and got our Euros at the ATM using a debit card.

Our current debit card has the following on the back: PLUS, Interlink, NYCE, and Star. Will this card work now in the airport ATM's at CDG?

I know this card charges only 1% Visa fee and in the past the exchange rate looked reasonable on my bills. I think it will be fine to use in Paris but am wondering about the airport ATM.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,210 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Euros on arrival at CDG

Yes, your debit card should work at the airport; the ATM machines there are all HSBC, and then you have Travelex service. I did not call my bank and had no problem (but then I have traveled several times recently so maybe they just assumed) but a call to the bank is the usual advice. Debit cards are best for cash advance, bring two if you have two for back up. Otherwise a credit card with pin also is useful as third last resort back up.

I could not believe it but the first 4-5 ATM machines I came to on the arrival floor(ground floor) were out of service. I finally found one on the first floor (departure floor), so think about that if you encounter same problem. Have a good trip.

CA. USA
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Euros on arrival at CDG

Thanks Amatrip, good advice about 2 debit cards! We're not going until September but will be in Paris for 2 weeks. First time we've gone to just one city and hung out there. We'll do some day trips outside of Paris too.

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting Euros on arrival at CDG

I bank at Bank of America- not sure about the airport but I always make sure what is their partner bank in each country- atm is free then. I always bring 2 debit cards and if using credit cards check to see what your bank purchase fee is. BofA visa is 1 %. My mastercard was 4% - big mistake that adds up.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,774 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting Euros on arrival at CDG

Make sure your debit card is a debit card only and not a combined debit/credit. I have seen the ATM giving the credit card advance option only to the combined debit/credit card. The interest rate charge will be very high.

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting Euros on arrival at CDG

I agree with the above- I have debit only cards and credit only cards when traveling.

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting Euros on arrival at CDG

Last month I got Euros at the ATM located at the bagage claim area in terminal 2E on my primary card which is a VISA debit from my local credit union. I also have a B of A debit card as backup and used both at different bank ATMs in the city and had no problems.

You'll be OK getting cash at the airport, just remember to place a travel alert with your banks before you leave.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
358 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting Euros on arrival at CDG

One of my biggest worries for our first trip to Paris last month was getting euros upon arrival. We landed at CDG and I hopped in line at a ATM. It worked like a charm.

I use a small town local bank and contacted them three days before leaving. I notified them of my travel plans (for security reasons) and I was all set. We used the debit card for euros and the credit card for bigger purchases (nighttime meals, etc). We never had a problem.

Los Cristianos...
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting Euros on arrival at CDG

hi thanks for this. will hsbc atm machines accept u.s mastercard debit atm cards. was there any charge using the machine? and what is the usual limit for withdrawals. thank you!

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting Euros on arrival at CDG

Not sure about the mastercard but if you use a bank issued charge card be sure to see if your local bank has a partner bank in europe because it will be free. I use bank of america which has a free partner in most countries. I also note when using a charge card for purchases check to see what the foreign transaction fee is- my mastercard is almost 2 percent higher than my bofa visa card- this can really add up if you are paying for hotels and large purchases.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,983 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting Euros on arrival at CDG

Only B of A uses the ¨partner¨ scam. They charge $5 in addition to what you otherwise might pay (some account holders pay a 1% currency conversion fee, some do not) if you do not withdraw from BNP. B of A makes this sound like a great deal but many of us can use any bank ATM and not pay a fixed fee. The only other bank, to my knowledge, that charges a fixed fee on ATM withdrawals is Wells Fargo.

This subject however, has been completely covered many, many times on this forum but generally, if you are paying more than 0% to 1% for ATM or credit card use, you are paying more than you need to pay.