We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three Weeks Without My iPhone: Am I Nuts?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Three Weeks Without My iPhone: Am I Nuts?

I am leaving for Paris in a couple of days - and later, Berlin - for a three-week summer romp. I am seriously considering NOT bringing my iPhone, as I have no intention of using it, except for emergencies. (I am, however, bringing my iPad, although this, too, I am considering leaving behind.) I am praying that I will never need it (i.e., no emergencies).

AM I NUTS FOR NOT WANTING TO BRING MY PHONE?

I realize that so much of this varies for folks. Context is key. I am single, have no children, and am not leaving behind pressing personal or business matters - nothing that cannot possibly wait until I get back. (Of course, I do plan to leave contact info to my parents regarding hotels I will be staying in and will occasionally check-in using local Internet cafes.) As much as technology has made my life more efficient, I can tell how much I am also so dependent on it. This trip, in part, is a way to free myself from that, if at least only temporarily. What are people's thoughts? Have you tried 'to go without'?

Thanks!

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three Weeks Without My iPhone: Am I Nuts?

I would bring one or the other (unless it's an iPad 1 with no camera - then I'd just bring the phone). I have an iPhone 4 from Verizon (not 4s). It will be useless as a phone in Europe -- there will be no signal at all and no 3g for data. But I can use it with wifi to connect via email, if I choose. I can take pictures with it to post on facebook for my family - again, on my schedule, and maybe not until I get home. I can play games -- Yes, I will probably spend a few hours on the plane or train playing sudoku.

You can have apps that help you, such as maps. If you search on this forum, there are lists of great apps that will help you on your paris trip. You can store a french phrase book or guide book on it using an ebook reader app.

It's a great tool.

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,688 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three Weeks Without My iPhone: Am I Nuts?

I think you are on the right track. Many of us used to travel all over the globe for years with no electronic devices and there is a big part of me that longs for those days. It is very freeing to move around the world knowing that you can't be reached. And all that time that we spend using our devices is equal to the time that we cheat ourselves of being fully connected to wherever we may be.

You can do all your research before the trip and take the info with you, on paper, then just unplug and feel the joy of being in a foreign country, relying solely on yourself and taking in everything around you. When you come home you'll feel like you have traveled.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 11 July 2012, 04:30
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three Weeks Without My iPhone: Am I Nuts?

Ufff it's SO liberating to be off the grid sometimes!!!! Do it!

The only caveat, are you planning on meeting up with anyone else during your trip? I totally forgot how to do this without cell phones and always have some kind of drama about meeting people at the right place at the right time.

Unplugging is such a relaxation, it's sad that we can't get off Facebook, Tripadvisor, Texting, etc for even a couple of days..You will still have access to phone in your hotel rooms (and many have computers downstairs to send emails) to stay in touch with people at home...I think you *see* more without iPhone apps that tell you exactly where to go (but you're starring at the screen instead of at the stuff around you)

<<When you come home you'll feel like you have traveled.>> Agreed!!!!!!

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,688 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three Weeks Without My iPhone: Am I Nuts?

Oh, and you asked if anyone's gone without the devices. I have gone to Europe every year since 1983 for usually a minimum of 4 weeks. Last year was the first year I brought a phone and a laptop for a month in an apartment. Did I NEED them? No. Did I USE them? Yes, of course, they were there.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three Weeks Without My iPhone: Am I Nuts?

I sometimes *forget* to bring my phone when going to the beach or the mountains ;-) [or just let it die, now that is complete bliss!]

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three Weeks Without My iPhone: Am I Nuts?

You will surrvive without both but I myself would be using internet cafes to stay in touch. Last year I received important messages from the airlines alerting me of schedule changes so was glad to be checking. I did like my ipad for reading and communication but at the same time it was heavier than I expected so I know what you mean. I envy those traveling thru airports with just a small backpack and hands free- it must be such a great feeling of freedom.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three Weeks Without My iPhone: Am I Nuts?

You don't need permission from any of us...if you want to disconnect and *really* get away -- do so.

as above, lots of us have spent an enormous time traveling without being connected...it's a nice change of pace.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,910 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three Weeks Without My iPhone: Am I Nuts?

I am going on holidays for two weeks this summer and I specifically chose a destination where cellphones won't work. If someone really needs us, they'll have to call a couple of land lines to find us.

I CAN NOT WAIT.

My teen daughter will be going to a similar place, and the other teen is at summer camp where only written communication is allowed.

I think disconnecting for a while is great for everyone. Makes it a true holiday!!!

South Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
183 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three Weeks Without My iPhone: Am I Nuts?

I vote for leaving your electronic leashes at home.

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three Weeks Without My iPhone: Am I Nuts?

As my departure date approached, I began feeling panicky about not having internet access at my fingertips overseas, so I finally decided to get an international smartphone. For several reasons I ended not up taking it and only took my old phone which I can use to make calls and send text messages.

So I went back to the old way of traveling with maps and travel books, trying to find my way around, getting lost etc. It was actually quite liberating and made me realize that I still had my old travel skills.

I did use the hotel's computer to check emails a few times and to check in for the flight home, but otherwise I didn't miss being connected at all, -I highly recommend it.