We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few days in the south of France from Paris?

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
A few days in the south of France from Paris?

My daughter is in Paris for a month taking a language course. She has a friend there and they both are looking at a long weekend somewhere where there is a nice beach and sunny weather. They want to take the train from Paris. I realize this is the Paris forum but since we don't know their destination I thought I would look for advice here. Nice, Biarritz? Are there beaches in Nice that are not rocky? They would be going down on a Wednesday and coming back to Paris on a Sunday. They are both 21 are well traveled. Any suggestions are welcome!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
493 reviews
from US$72.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,167 reviews
from US$108.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$299.60*
Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few days in the south of France from Paris?

Been doing some research myself. Anyone know anything about Juan Les Pins?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few days in the south of France from Paris?

Hi.

A fast train to Avignon is great; can look around there or travel to St. Remy, Arles from there.

Marcia

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few days in the south of France from Paris?

Avignon, St. Remy or Arles might make for enjoyable long weekends, but they do not have what the OP says they're after: "they both are looking at a long weekend somewhere where there is a nice beach and sunny weather."

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,426 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few days in the south of France from Paris?

Biarritz is surf land, the ocean is active and you can't count on the sun, but it is a young, fun crowd.

Nice is sedate and sunny.

I think the easiest way to get to either destination is by plane. Others will correct me if I'm wrong.

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few days in the south of France from Paris?

Thanks. I agree with the idea of plane travel. I found flights to Nice pretty reasonable. But my daughter is taking into account the cost of getting to the airport in Paris as well as transportation at her destination. She thinks the train stations are closer to the center of the cities. I think Biarritz would be perfect but the weather forecast for next Thursday through Sat. (when they will be there) is not great. Lots of rain and only in the 70's. They may end up going to Biarritz anyway and the train fare is doable and it seems like a fun scene for young people who like that type of thing. They are definitely looking for a beach scene as opposed to charming village type things. They are both in Paris for some time and have the opportunities to do lots of village/city things. Focused on the beach scene for this weekend.

Edited: 13 July 2012, 17:59
Ottawa
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few days in the south of France from Paris?

St-Tropez has a nice big beach with camping, and great walks along the coast. Beware, the whole coast is very crowded in August.

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few days in the south of France from Paris?

Thanks. I will pass on this info to my daughter. She would be there Wed. July 18 - Sunday, July 22.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few days in the south of France from Paris?

It's called Plage Pampelonne: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1WySq_iEI8

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,848 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few days in the south of France from Paris?

Forget St Tropez. How are they going to get there from Nice? It takes ages by car. They haven't got lots of time. Nice beaches are all rocks. What about Juan Les Pins or Antibes? Lots of hotels, fab sandy beaches, and they are both on the main train line from Nice. We stayed at Cap d'Antibes right opposite the beach and little fishing port and loved it. Juan Les Pins is next door.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few days in the south of France from Paris?

Juan les pins is a family resort during the day and has lots of clubs at night . It is very seasonal and is dead out of season.

Antibes is more sedate and has no night clubs

JLP and Antibes have limited amounts of cheap hotels and hostels

Nice has lots of nightlife for all tastes and the greatest number of hostels and cheap hotels .

The beach in NIce is made up of pebbles called galets , which are oval and smooth grey.. There are private beaches where you can hire sunbeds or it is easy to buy a cheap beach mat for a couple of euros

Nice is alos the transport hub , so going to the beach elsewhere by bus to train is easy - bus is one euro and you can easily go to Villefranche, cap ferrat, beaulieu etc or JLP, Antibes etc by train

St Tropez has no train station , so has to be accessesed by bus or boat from st raphael. Road access into st tropez in summer is like a car partk populated by the living dead. It can take hours to move a tiny distance

Edited: 14 July 2012, 10:46