We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just bought my ticket! Got a great fare!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Just bought my ticket! Got a great fare!

I am so excited! After months of watching the fares and checking out various routes and airlines I got a great fare today. I kept seeing messages about sales but when I put in my dates (Nov 12 -Dec 13) none of the sale fares came up. I realized finally that most good fares are for trip of 30 days or less - my dates = 31 days. So putting in Nov 12 to Dec 12 dropped the fare by close to $300!

Going to Paris I am flying MCO - ATL - CDG. I'm on the late flight from ATL that leaves at 9 pm, arrives 11:15a. I figure leaving later will be more conducive to sleep and means I don't need to ask my apartment landlord for an earlier check-in. The return is CDG - JFK - MCO. And the leg from CDG - JFK is on the A320! That's one aircraft I want to try.

Total fare : $817!!!!!

Forest Grove, Oregon
Level Contributor
139 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just bought my ticket! Got a great fare!

I can "hear" the excitement in your post. Is this your first trip? We're taking our first trip to France in September. The day I purchased our plane tickets (in April) I wanted to shout from the rooftops - I'M GOING TO FRANCE!!!!! Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just bought my ticket! Got a great fare!

Kittycat, are you sure about the aircraft CDG-JFK? The A320 is a single aisle short haul plane, so I think you'll probably be on the A380. Are you flying Air France?

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just bought my ticket! Got a great fare!

That is great.... gives me hope for Chicago,....

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just bought my ticket! Got a great fare!

Congratualations Kitty, It's a nice relief when you have finally booked the flights.

I am watching fares too, for San Francisco in April/May.

I am thinking about a loooong "layover" at CDG! LOL! and flyngto theUsfrom there.

I use Kayak for fare alerts. Anybody any tips for another way.

Denise

Love from England

Edited: 15 July 2012, 10:44
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just bought my ticket! Got a great fare!

Ps... wouldn't know one aircraft from another. Does it matter?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just bought my ticket! Got a great fare!

Arcadian, you are right - it's the A380. I guess in my excitement I made the typo.

Grandma, yes I use Kayak and some other fare watchers but found that Kayak seems to be the best. I can't always find the exact fare but it's exciting when you get an email saying your fare has dropped $400.

I'm not too picky about aircraft except -- American was running a good sale as well but they use older 767 planes without individual entertainment systems. I was willing to overlook that for the right fare but figured that once American had a sale, some of the others would follow. So to be on a plane with more entertainment options was important to me since I don't have a iPad to keep me entertained.

Yes, I'm on Delta for the domestic legs and Air France for the TATL lets. I planned my flights so I have pretty good layovers for connecting each way - between 2.5 and 3 hours. Of course, things can happen that affect the connection but more time usually means less stress for me. I booked on the Delta website so the AF flights are Delta codeshares. I would have booked on AF but their web didn't show all the flight options and the ones shown had very short connections (less than 1 hour in Atlanta).

Now I can really get to serious planning - I'm waiting for opera and ballet tickets to come on sale and then planning some day trips as well.

Woohoo! Now it's getting real!

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
64 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just bought my ticket! Got a great fare!

You should call Air France. Often when you choose your seats on Delta, it does not carry over to Air Frnce. Someone told me that so I called AF and sure enough, they had my son, husband and I not even sitting together, even though on Delta site it showed the seats I chose. So Air France fixed it for me.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,885 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just bought my ticket! Got a great fare!

I just caught myself checking these sale fares and trying to figure out if I can pull off a second trip to France this year...it's very tempting.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just bought my ticket! Got a great fare!

I am just about to call Air France. I called Delta because I wanted to see what the cost of premium econ would be on the AF portions as it's not visible on the Delta itinerary. I know I have to get an AF PNR. So I'll double check on my seats as well.

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just bought my ticket! Got a great fare!

You should have no problems with the seat assignments; on my latest AF flights -also Delta booking- my seat selections immediately tranferred over to AF. You can get the AF PNR by entering the Delta ticket number minus the last digit on the AF website.

I highly recommend premium economy, but if not, try to get econ seats in the upstairs section, they seem less cramped and the cabin section is much smaller.