We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giverny and Mt Saint Michel

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
50 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Giverny and Mt Saint Michel

Hello there ! I am planning a trip to Paris and would like to visit Giverny and Mt Saint Michel so my question is , if I am not in a rush, should I do these two places as separate overnight trips rather than do day trips from paris ? I have been to Paris several times but have somehow managed never to go to these 2 places so I am determined to make them on my itinerary this time. Thanks all.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Giverny and Mt Saint Michel

Giverny is easily a day trip - no overnight required.

But yes, MSM is definitely an overnight -- it's 5 hours each way to get to the Mont.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Giverny and Mt Saint Michel

Both are magical. Both deserve time to savor.

For MSM -- stay just across the causeway at the hotel right at the end of the road -- its called the Relais I think. Good dining room, nice clean modern spacious rooms. Then drive across first thing in the morning before the tour buses. It was great,.

For Giverny -- stay in Les Andelys. There is a little place where we spend one of the finest evenings of our lives. Get there early and roam around along the River. Leisurely dinner on site. Just fabulous. Then drive over to Giverny and get there right at opening, again before the buses arrive.

I am jealous already thinking of all the fun you will have.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Giverny and Mt Saint Michel

I stayed overnight on MSM and would definitely recommend that. It's fabulous to be able to walk around once the crowds of people have gone. I felt like I had the place to myself. And you get some fabulous photos during twilight.

Also, already being on MSM means you can get to the Abbey first thing in the morning before the crows descend. When I went through the Abbey, there was only myself and another couple and they zoomed off about half way through.

If you are comfortable driving, I would take time out of Paris and do them at the same time.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Giverny and Mt Saint Michel

Let me just suggest that everything that is available ON the island is available at the Relais -- which is the very last property on the mainland -- literally AT the causeway. You can walk around the island all evening long, and be there first thing in the morning. We did both.

The nice part of the Relais (which by the way is owned by the folks who own Mere Pollard) is that it is MODERN, CLEAN, reasonably priced, spacious, AND you can drive right up to your room and unload your luggage at any time of day.

Unless you need to SLEEP on the Island, and dont mind schlepping your luggage (or leaving it in the car...), it's really not a close decision.

ENJOY

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
50 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Giverny and Mt Saint Michel

Thank you Sunshine 817, CanadaRockies and Mez3000..! Just one more question : if I am not comfortable driving ( confession : I have never driven outside of my home country, but I have dived with sharks..gofigure) should I take a train or bus to these places ?

Or really should I suck it up and just rent a car ?

Edited: 17 July 2012, 04:47
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Giverny and Mt Saint Michel

12Flyaway, I personally preferred the flexibility of having a car. I went by myself and just made use of the in car GPS.

Getting to/from Giverny/Paris is easy using the train. MSM, not so much. There is an MSM forum which might be able to answer your transport questions if no one does here.

CanadaRockiesNut, take a chill pill. It's not a competition. Another person's opinion is as valid as yours.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,390 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Giverny and Mt Saint Michel

I spent a week in 2009 in and around that area. I had a lease car which I picked up from CDG airport. If you can swim with sharks, driving on the wrong side of the car on the wrong side of the road is a doddle, IMO. I didn't go to Giverny, but spent 2 nights at Rouen. Absolutely fabulous. Then a night in Honfleur (I'd never been there before. It was beautiful), via Le Havre, Bayeux 2 nights, and 2 nights on the Mont before heading south. It was a wonderful week. Also visited the childhood home of Christian Dior. It is now turned into a museum with lovely gardens and the little town of Villedieu where the copper pots are made

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Giverny and Mt Saint Michel

Take a fast train to Rennes than a bus to Mt St Michel at the bus depot next door from the rail station. The buses are timed with the trains from Paris..

I too would stay on the island.....

Anytime now (by 2015) buses and cars will no longer be allowed on the causeway as the later will be torn down..There will be a curved bridge letting the water run around the mount, as nature has intended.

Shuttles buses will take people back and forth...I also read that they might build a cable car from the mainland to a terrace by the abbey.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,503 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Giverny and Mt Saint Michel

The hotel in Petit Andelys might be La Chaîne d'Or, an absolutely charming French country hotel with a find restaurant. The hotel sits right on the banks of the river Seine, and rooms at the back of the hotel overlook the river--as does the dining room. We really love this hotel, and so does everyone to whom we've recommended it.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Giverny and Mt Saint Michel

rent a car. driving in france is easy.