We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advance RER tickets...

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Advance RER tickets...

Hi,

I have 2 layovers in Paris-CDG next month. During the first layover I am staying at the airport, but can I buy 2 RER tickets in advance? I have 4 hours to burn on my way to another country. Coming home, I have an 8 hour layover and I am definitely leaving the airport (I have been to Paris a few times and know where I am going, but I usually take an expensive taxi into Paris central). and I would like to have the RER tickets in hand already to save time. I remember that as long as I don't put them in the machine, I can use them a week later? I just need a Paris train refresher course!

Thanks!

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,620 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advance RER tickets...

On your 4-hr layover you can buy your RER tickets for the day you have an 8-hr layover. Tickets don't expire. Otherwise the only alternative is to have the overpriced Paris Visite one-day pass shipped to your home (zones 1-5).

Although it may not be that overpriced in your case since you'll be spending close to 20 € on RER tickets anyway but I think there is a fee to have it shipped.

Edited: 16 July 2012, 22:53
USA
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advance RER tickets...

Merci beaucoup!

Thank you so much... I will buy the tickets in advance at CDG to use them a week later... I have 4 hours in the airport to burn, that works perfectly... It will also save me a lot of time when I have the longer layover...

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advance RER tickets...

Just curious -- will the OP have to leave the secure area of the airport to buy the tickets and then go back through security for the connecting flight? Is there ever an issue with that - i.e. leaving the transit zone etc..

I know in some airports, there is no way you can leave between connecting flights - you stay in a transit status. I can't remember how it works at CDG.

USA
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advance RER tickets...

Yes, I will be coming from the US with a final destination being a Schengen country, So I will go through passport control, walk through customs, buy the tickets, get some fresh air and then head back through security for my flight. I did this when I landed at CDG from the US to catch a flight to Rome. No problems when one has over 4 hours to spare, US passport, and check in will be completed in the US... I believe you can always leave the transit zone IF one has a passport that permits it (and time to spare of course...)

Edited: 17 July 2012, 12:10
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advance RER tickets...

Thanks professor, I thought that was the case. I guess I was remembering some other travels where I needed a visa to leave the transit area which I didn't have so I was required to stay in transit status.

6. Re: Advance RER tickets...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 06:16