We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Rive Gauche - Is it in a good location

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott Rive Gauche - Is it in a good location

Can anyone give me information on the Marriott Rive Gauche - is it in a good location. Reviews on the hotel, etc.

Thank you, Shari

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott Rive Gauche - Is it in a good location

It's quite a nice hotel, but not ideally located, although it's right next to Line 6 of the Métro (Saint Jacques), close to Denfert-Rochereau (easy access to RER B), and not too far from the Place d'Italie. It's popular with business travelers, organized tours, and airline crews, from what I've noticed. Standard, good quality, international hotel. Not really within easy walking distance of any attraction except the Catacombs (at Denfert-Rochereau), but in a quiet area at night.

texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott Rive Gauche - Is it in a good location

We've stayed there twice on points and were pleased both times. From the rooms at the front of the hotel, if you are on a high floor you can see much of the city. As for location, we took the RER from CDG and the hotel was

a block away. It's right across from St. Jacques as mentioned above.

However, we also took the bus a lot. There's a bus that runs right by the hotel and it was very convenient. We would definitely stay there again.

Rooms were large and (five years ago) in great shape.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,700 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott Rive Gauche - Is it in a good location

If you can stay using points or a Priceline bid I'd say go for it. If you are paying anywhere close to rack rates look for somewhere more convenient.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,199 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott Rive Gauche - Is it in a good location

I have stayed there severa times, most recently in June. It's a great deal IMHO for the use of my Marriott rewards. (I actually have a reservation for November if I can accumlate enough points :) )

I agree rack rate you can do better.

The metro is very close and easy to deal with, the neighborhood is generally quite and the rooms are still in good shape. If you have "status" the lounge is nice, but I wouldn't pay to access it!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott Rive Gauche - Is it in a good location

I would call the location "acceptable" -- it is not ideal but it is not bad. In any case, it is very convenient for transportation.

I think that American game shows still use this hotel to lodge winners of the "fabulous trip to Paris' -- at least it's almost always been the hotel on all of the game shows that I have watched.

Edited: 17 July 2012, 20:12
Bolton
Level Contributor
410 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott Rive Gauche - Is it in a good location

Stayed in June this year, fabulous comfy bed, quite poky bathroom. We had a room on the 11th Floor and had great views of the city.

As others have said not near any really big attractions, but really well placed for getting the metro which will get you anywhere you need to go.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott Rive Gauche - Is it in a good location

It's not central but Paris is small. It would take you about 30 minutes to walk down the rue Saint Jacques to the Seine, and you'll arrive facing Notre-Dame.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriott Rive Gauche - Is it in a good location

We are staying in an apartment in the Marais district our first week in Paris so we don't mind if the hotel is a little out of the way, as long as it's close to the metro. We wanted to use some Marriott points, therefore the reason for staying here.

All of the replies have been very helpful and much appreciated! Keep them coming.

Shari

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,189 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriott Rive Gauche - Is it in a good location

As everyone else has already said, for points, it's okay.

You'll find it far less nicely located than an apartment in the Marais, so you'd want to plan your weekly itineraries accordingly.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriott Rive Gauche - Is it in a good location

If your concern is about underground station, Mariott is 200 m away from St Jacques station (ligne 6) and 600 m away from Denfert Rochereau (RER B, ligne 4 and 6, bus 38 and 68).

Note that RER and metro have two différents entries (although you can commute from one to another underground).

http://www.ratp.fr/itineraires/fr/ratp/quartier/plan?address=Place+Denfert-Rochereau%2C+75014%2C+Paris