We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Exchange- my results while here

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
244 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Currency Exchange- my results while here

I had questions on currency exchange and used TA for advice. Here are a few things I learned in Paris and know from a US perspective.

1-My IRA account has a banking division and they re-imbrues any bank charges and do not charge any so see if your bank dose the same.

2-I would use a Credit Card when you can

3-Use an ATM as they will give you the bank rate at the time. This may not be great for small withdrawals if your bank and the bank you are using charge fees so make sure it is a large withdrawal.

For me I had cash and needed to use a Money Exchange.

It seems as though banks do not do it and many even have signs outside saying so.

There are a ton of exchange places all over paris. From todays perspective the US rate was 81.6 cents to 1 Euro.

The local Western Union was giving .75 to 1 Euro. and other places were giving as low as .70 to 1 Euro until I walked away and said they would up it to .75

After some research here on TA I found the advice for

http://coopera.com

I looked them up and emailed them in English and asked if they exchanged (which they did) and where they were. They were very responsive in English and gave me their 3 address all around the Paris Opera Garnier.

I love to walk and it was not far and I went over there and they were giving .786 to 1 Euro.

I was exchanging quite a bit so that extra 3 to 4 cents per Euro really added up.

So all in all if you have to exchange a small amount it might not matter by using a Western Union or similar but if you are looking at a Thousand dollars it is a 30 to 40 Euros difference so that could make a big difference.

So just my experience.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency Exchange- my results while here

Thanks for the report, but the obvious question is - Why would you take a large amount of cash?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
220 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency Exchange- my results while here

This is helpful information as I have some USD I want to change. But I'm confused. If the exchange places post a rate of 81.6 to 1€, why did you go someplace where the rate is not as good? I'm clueless about money exchange, so perhaps I'm missing something, but this seems illogical. Any insight would be appreciated.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,889 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency Exchange- my results while here

According to my Xe currency converter app the current rate is 0.8145 Euro to $1.00 US. Hard to imagine that a currency exchange woud offer the same rate with no fees.

Best way to get Euros is to use an ATM machine and get enough money to last several days in order to pay the least amount of withdrawal fees (if you bank charges).

4. Re: Currency Exchange- my results while here

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 November 2012, 23:45
Edited: 10 November 2012, 23:45
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency Exchange- my results while here

As far as I know the best rates for those who need to change dollar bills in France are at Yes Change bureaus. There is one at 1, rue Rouget de L'isle at métro Concorde. But don't pay attention to the rate displayed in the window, you must say the password 'Yes Change' to get the better rate. For instance today you would have gotten 80.456 € for $100.

You can check the day's rate here: http://www.yes-change.com/change.php

Enter the amount under 'montant' and then under "devise' select your currency listed by country: ETATS-UNIS (USD)

Edited: 17 July 2012, 20:18
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
513 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency Exchange- my results while here

http://coopera.com link isn't working. Just claims domain.

7. Re: Currency Exchange- my results while here

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 06:15