We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Britannique Renovations....Alternative?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
688 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Britannique Renovations....Alternative?

Just got an email that the Hotel Britannique is beginning a full facade renovation starting August 28 to mid- November. The hotel will be wrapped in ground to roof scaffolding and windows and balconies will be blocked. Work will take place 9-5 everyday but weekends. They are offering 10% discount to those that keep their reservations.

Of course we have reservations during that time. I'm not sure I want to stay considering I picked the hotel for location, views, and quiet and a balcony room.

Any recommendations for similar charming hotels in the 1st or 2nd in the 200E price range? Thanks.

MA
Level Contributor
943 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Britannique Renovations....Alternative?

Are you sure this is for real? We have reservations there for eight days in late September and I haven't gotten any email from them.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
688 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Britannique Renovations....Alternative?

Positive... if you PM me I can forward their email . Our friends who are going with us also got the same email this morning.

MA
Level Contributor
943 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Britannique Renovations....Alternative?

I believe you but odd they haven't emailed me--two rooms for eight days.

If I don't hear from them soon, I will email them myself. This is bad news and a terrible disappointment.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Britannique Renovations....Alternative?

It's real.

I also got the email and I am peeved that now I need to find another hotel. Part of the reason I chose the hotel was to be able to look outside the window and use the balcony!

An excerpt from the email:

"We would like to inform you that the decision concerning the renovation of the front street side of the hotel has just been made. The works will be held from August 28th 2012 to November 30th 2012.

A security scaffolding will be installed at the entire height of the building, where maintenance staff will be working during the week (except Saturday and Sunday) from 9:00am to 5:00pm. During these hours the windows musty be closed, the balconies will not be accessible."

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
688 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Britannique Renovations....Alternative?

I too have a balcony room. After an initial panic and an afternoon researching alternative hotels......I decided to stay put and accept their paltry 10% discount.

During our week there ( September) I am not finding many hotels that have two rooms for our dates in the 200E price range....in that area. Even in the Latin Quarter hotels are either sold out or the rate climbs close to 300E.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Britannique Renovations....Alternative?

I am a lot more flexible in area and budget, and since it's only me, I don't have anyone else to please. The flip side is that opens up more possibilities for me!

I typically stay at apartments when I visit and due to a much shorter trip this time, I opted for a hotel. I have walked by this hotel on a previous visit and found it appealing, which is why I wanted to stay there.

I am going to to some searching this weekend with the aim of finding another hotel.

David, I hope the inconvenience is not too bad during your stay.

Israel
Level Contributor
5,096 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Britannique Renovations....Alternative?

Oy! So sorry to hear this, you guys. As much as I love the Britannique, I must say that a 10% discount is very stingy, and I think they should be told.

Bel
London, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Britannique Renovations....Alternative?

Oh dear, that's really disappointing. We're staying over a weekend so I suppose there won't be noise, but the idea of scaffolding is kind of depressing. Chose the hotel because it looked lovely and planned to sit on the balcony sipping something fizzy and watching the world go by. Don't know what to do.....Not sure if a bigger discount, if I was able to negotiate it, would make it okay, or whether to hunt for somewhere else :-(

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Britannique Renovations....Alternative?

10% is quite stingy. But I would imagine that they are not too worried about cancellations, because with their location, they will easily find replacement customers.

Then again, not much a world goes by on avenue Victoria, so the view from a balcony would be pretty boring there.

Edited: 20 July 2012, 21:29
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Britannique Renovations....Alternative?

>> 10% is quite stingy. But I would imagine that they are not too worried about cancellations, because with their location, they will easily find replacement customers.<<

I agree.

I am just glad they informed us now as opposed to not at all. This is not the kind of surprise you want to see upon arrival.

Anyway, I have cancelled and made alternate arrangements.