We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airbnb in Paris

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
9 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Airbnb in Paris

I was refered by a friend a Paris to Airbnb for reasonable apartment rental in the 5th arr. The rates almost seem too good to be true. Any experiences you care to share?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,822 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airbnb in Paris

Airbnb is a listing site and as such they are a reputable company. I have rented Airbnb apartments in Paris, Barcelona and San Francisco and had good experiences.

But your individual experience will depend on the the owner of the apartment you choose. I look for apartments that have several good and realistic reviews and I exchange a couple of e-mails with general questions about the apartment or neighborhood before booking.

Puget Sound
Level Contributor
908 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airbnb in Paris

I used them in Budapest last year with no problems. But as noted above, your contact will be with the owner of the apartment, not a professional manager.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airbnb in Paris

Well said, F1racegirl. Same advice I would give.

We found Airbnb about two and a half years ago, and tried it cautiously. Our first experience in NYC turned out wonderfully, so we listed our guest room/apartment in our home in Anacortes about two years ago. We have had nothing but good experiences with our many guests.

We have also had good experiences, generally, in renting Airbnb places. We have stayed in several US cities and some in Europe. Only one of those, In Amsterdam, was a disaster, and that was really awful.

I second the good advice you have already had, i.e., check the reviews very carefully, ask the host lots of questions if things aren't crystal clear, and read the Airbnb policies to find out what protections you have.

We would never rent a property that didn't have lots of glowing reviews. Let somebody else experience the pain of the host's learning curve.

One good thing about the site is that you pay Airbnb through PayPal, not the host. He/she doesn't get the money transferred into his account for 24 hours after you check in. If the place is not as advertised you contact Airbnb 24 hour hotline and you don't lose your money. You may find yourself on the street, as we did in Amsterdam, but the landlord gets stiffed too.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,822 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airbnb in Paris

Thanks nukesafe. One clarification, at least according to my experience, is that you pay airbnb by credit card - at least that's what I've done. You do pay upfront, but as nukesafe said airbnb hold the money until 24 hours after you've arrived.

I did have an "issue" with the apartment I rented recently in Paris, when the lift was broken on day 4 and I had to walk up to my 7th floor apartment. This was not the owner's fault, but did affect my stay. Working with airbnb a refund of 2 nights was negotiated, which was a fair enough settlement. Lesson I learned was to not rent on a high floor again - even with a lift.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airbnb in Paris

Sorry about that, you are quite correct. You can pay by credit card as well as by PayPal.

Your second point made me catch my breath. We have rented a place in the 11th for the first two weeks of October, and it is on the fifth floor. My over 80 legs HATE stairs! I will keep my fingers crossed, even though I'm told that the apartment building has two elevators. They can't BOTH be out of service at the same time, can they? If they are, I will sleep under one of the Seine bridges.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
9 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airbnb in Paris

Thanks so much for your insight in Paris and Airbnb. I could squeeze into my friend's apartment for a night or so as a back up plan. I guess there is responsibility on my part as well, buyer beware. See you soon in the City of Lights...Au revoir

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
9 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airbnb in Paris

Please note any additional input is welcome. Merci.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airbnb in Paris

I used airbnb for a weeklong stay in Paris in the 11th arrondisement this June and had a great time. I am a graduate student who traveled to the UK for a conference and decided to squeeze in a trip to Paris prior to that. A few other friends in my program did the same thing (and stayed in different airbnb apartments), and we all had awesome experiences. The other posters are right ... make sure you read through the reviews of the apartments you are considering. I would also go with your gut when choosing an apartment. The first person I heard back from required a huge deposit, which kind of shook me the wrong way. I continued to email folks, and found another apartment where the host was extremely friendly via email. She also emailed me a few times prior to arriving, and was great in person. Her apartment had kind reviews, and the actual experience in a large 5th floor walk up with no elevator (we love stairs!) and with a gorgeous view exceeded my expectations.

One thing to note is that you are staying in an apartment, and not a hotel with maid service. Although we (my boyfriend and 1 both 30 stayed in the apartment) were provided towels and sheets, after a few days we needed to clean up (like wipe down counters, wash dishes, etc.), as we would do when not on vacation. Also since I was on a longer trip and my 3 oz bottles ran out, I needed to buy some toiletries from the pharmacy after a few days.

A few things to note that I imagine others have pointed out:

*if you can, search for "entire house/apartments" rather than just a "private room"

*if you are staying longer than three days, or as part of a longer trip, it would probably be best to search for a place with a washer and dryer (or at least a washer and a breeze)

*I did a few searches in the keyword box for "balcony" "balcon" and "terrace" to find a place with a nice balcony ... well worth that!

Bonne vacance!

new york
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airbnb in Paris

I rented a wonderful room in the Montmartre section of Paris this past April and had a wonderful experience. Like previously stated, check for many good reviews and research for any additional fees. But Airbnb is pretty straight forward. and they provide a 24hour window to cancel the reservation if the accommodations are not as stated on the site. I have used it many times around the world and have never had a bad experience.

This is the link to the room with a private bath that i stayed in.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7396

Riyadh, Ar Riyad...
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airbnb in Paris

I rented a room with a terrace in marcadet poissonniers and it was through Airbnb and housetrip.

It is wonderful and reliable, just make sure you read the reviews and that you understand what you are renting exactly in terms of location and facilities.

Good luck !