We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants for picky eaters...

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
traverse city, mi
8 posts
Save Topic
Restaurants for picky eaters...

Or should I say eater...my husband. ;) We would love to have one really nice dinner while we are in Paris. All of the American restaurants I have researched are burger and sandwich places. We are looking for something a little bit more upscale...steak, pasta, etc. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Restaurants for picky eaters...

Good point, Luckyfour. I don't know if the original poster has been to Paris in the past, but, if not, one thing I notice about people who visit there for the first time: they're often bowled over by the sheer number and variety of restaurant choices within walking distance.

To the original poster: chances are excellent that you'll find something that suits both of you, especially considering that restaurant menus are posted outside, so you can check them out before going in. And, if you're planning to stay in an apartment, there are even more options.

I also agree that a special vacation to Paris is NOT the time to start trying to reform someone else's dietary habits.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,903 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Restaurants for picky eaters...

to the "non-picky" eaters who are convinced it's a matter of manipulations and character flaws, I would like to offer my services in cooking a traditional russian meal for you. I'm thinking stuffed goose necks, raw salted bacon fat, boiled beef tongue. These are all delicacies and I am sure you will like them. Deal? ;-))))

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Restaurants for picky eaters...

I'm in! ;>)

Um....did you say RAW salted bacon fat???? :>O

Edited: 25 July 2012, 04:43
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,903 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Restaurants for picky eaters...

Yes, I did say raw. like this:

…myopera.com/CrazyHuman/…salo.jpg

What, waffling already? ;-)))))

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Restaurants for picky eaters...

You're funny, Rasteriasha.

L4

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Restaurants for picky eaters...

Rock on, Rasteriasha!!!

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Restaurants for picky eaters...

Hmmm I'm thinking if I ever get to Russia I'm going to need to describe myself as a picky eater...

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Restaurants for picky eaters...

I eat raw bacon like that all the time -- I love it. But I have to go to the Monday morning market in Senones, Vosges to buy the special country bacon from 'Au Bon Lard de Campagne' to get the one I really prefer. Otherwise, I just buy packs of lardons at the supermarket and eat them raw.

As for the 'toughness' of French/European beef, the explanation is really very simple. Growth hormones are forbidden as per EU rules, so the animals are raised normally and the texture of the meat is normal. In the US and certain other countries, people are actually eating more or less baby animals that have been grown to freakish sizes, so naturally the meat is more tender. Poke your finger into the belly of a child who has been raised on Twinkies compared to the belly of a child raised on vegetables and grains, and you will quickly see which one is more 'tender.'

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,277 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Restaurants for picky eaters...

As always, if you have a legitimate and medically-diagnosed allergy, you should at least consider these allergy cards:

http://www.selectwisely.com/

You can have them translated into any language you need, and it explains very clearly that you're not being picky; there's a medical reason why you cannot eat x.

(I'm not affiliated with the company in any way.)

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,190 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Restaurants for picky eaters...

Rastieriasha: tongue isn't that exotic, my very English grandmother would often serve it and whole tongue is still occasionally seen in good butchers shops in the UK. I'm always a bit mystified that North Americans aren't keen on'nose to tail' eating. I am sure that their pioneering ancestors would have let nothing go to waste :)