We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just bought my Opera tickets -- pumped

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,051 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
just bought my Opera tickets -- pumped

we are going back to Paris for 5 weeks in late Oct and November -- just bought great tickets for the Marriage of Figaro one of our favorite operas at our favorite opera house the Paris Bastille Opera House -- we have never been disappointed at a performance there -- at least by the singers -- occasionally the directors fall short and it is fun to join the general booing

we saw a magnificent Tannhauser there last fall -- hope the Marriage is as imaginatively staged

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just bought my Opera tickets -- pumped

Enjoy!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just bought my Opera tickets -- pumped

Janet, can you give me any advice on getting tickets?

I've got the dates marked on my calendar when the tix for the shows during my month (2 operas & 1 ballet) go on sale. I've registered on the opera web but am curious if you got up early so you could be ready when the sales start at 9 am Paris time. I am so looking forward to a performance in the Opera Bastille and Opera Garnier.

On another note, I'm doing a day trip to London and got tickets for a preview performance of a new musical Viva Forever! based on the music of the Spice Girls. So you can see, my tastes run from the sublime to the tacky. But I figure the Spice Girls musical is so totally British!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,051 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just bought my Opera tickets -- pumped

this time I just got on line when I knew I was traveling -- but for last fall I got up at 1 am on got on line/in line to get tickets to Tannhauser (I think it was June sometime for October) I had some computer problems and wasn't able to complete my purchase of really good seats at a really good price and had to go to another computer and start over -- when my turn came, I got okay tickets at an okay price but the cheaper seats were gone

this time since it was long past the time they went on sale, I paid a lot, nearly twice what I paid for Tannhauser

so I recommend that you get up in order to dial in when they go on sale in Paris in order to get the best deals -- the cheapest seats are not sold on line -- but there are some pretty good seats at much cheaper prices than if you wait

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: just bought my Opera tickets -- pumped

I am also seeing this opera, but in late September . I think the Bastlle Opera is a great building. It's disappointing when people compare it unfavourably to the Garnier building - they're just so different.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: just bought my Opera tickets -- pumped

Useful post. Thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,879 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just bought my Opera tickets -- pumped

Thanks Janet. I found a matinee of Les Sylphides in June 2013 which is now in the diary!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,051 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: just bought my Opera tickets -- pumped

the Bastille is my favorite opera house -- it is beautiful and technically wonderful -- I haven't been everywhere but I have seen operas at Covent Garden, the Pergola, the Fenice (before it burned down), the Met and the Rome opera house, Naples and Fiesole in the amphitheatre as well as many houses in the US.

it is a great house and the quality of singing has always been first rate when we have been there. there are also a lot of creative stagings -- some work better than others but it is always interesting. two quite strange stagings recently were for King Roger and for Tannhauser. In Tannhauser, the soprano (actual star not a super standing in) was nude during the first 20 minutes and performed the rest of the opera wrapped in a bedsheet (kudos to the costume department -- very well designed bedsheet) In King Roger I had no idea why children in mickey mouse masks were being led in the yoga homage to the sun by an adult in a large mouse mask by the swimming pool where the elderly cast was being towed about during much of the opera (it sure had nothing to do with the synopsis we read on line)

always love going there, can hardly wait to see what they with Marriage -- and old warhorse but with a glorious score

Edited: 27 July 2012, 14:13
Out here somewhere
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: just bought my Opera tickets -- pumped

I saw FIgaro in June. It was spectacular.

I agree about the Bastille opera house. It's terrific.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: just bought my Opera tickets -- pumped

Thanks all for the advice. First tickets I'm interested in go on sale on Sep 3.

Did any of you have any problems using your credit card to purchase online? I've read some posts where people couldn't make online purchases on a foreign website. I plan to call my credit card company in advance but just curious if you had any issues. I had no problem buying my Eurostar and London theater tickets online.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,051 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: just bought my Opera tickets -- pumped

notify your card carrier and hope for the best. we have had the most problem booking transportation. we have been blocked EVERY time we have bought Thalys tickets and had to fiddle around with it and last year I got blocked trying to buy Delta Airline tickets to Rome from the US.

we have not had problems with the card with the Paris opera but some times the transaction doesn't go through for no reason we can tell and then when we do it again, does go through --