We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Restaurant???

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which Restaurant???

HI all,

I'm suprising my wife with a trip to Paris for her 30th Birthday and wanted to take her for a Romantic meal she'll never forget!!! I was thinking of Jules Verne or maybe Alain Ducasse at the Plaza Athenee. Which one would you recommend??? By the way we have never dined at a michelin star restaurant before.

Thanks in advance

london
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Restaurant???

anyone???

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Restaurant???

We loved Jules Verne so much we are returning to visit again for our anniversary in October.

Having said that I haven't been to any other Alain Ducasse restaurants. The view from the Eiffel Tower is pretty hard to beat though.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,173 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Restaurant???

As an experience Le Jules Verne is pretty hard to beat, for the view combined with the food. It is expensive, but not as much as say, Guy Savoy, where we paid close to €700 for the two of us (3 stars)

This was my review of a few years ago

…blogspot.com.au/2008/08/jules-verne-restaur…

and some of the information there tells you a bit of what it is like to experience starred dining.

Dress for the occasion. It adds to the experience. It all begins entering the dedicated lift at the base of the tower. There will be many waiters. They will all greet you. You will be brought a little something to nibble while you order. They will explain anything on the menu and will speak English. It is usual to order an entree and a main each to begin with. Cheese and dessert are ordered later if you wish.

A sommelier (wine waiter with special knowledge) will ask if you wish to order wine or drinks. Ice water will be provided free throughout the meal. You may also order bottled water if you wish.

Throughout the meal you will be offered little extras. There is no additional charge for this. There will be a choice of breads and maybe even butters.

It is possible to step out on the second level of the tower and then come back into the restaurant, maybe between the main course and dessert. Wish we had known that.

The table is yours for the night and you may stay, nibbling the last little sweetmeats until you are ready to leave. Only then do you ask for the bill. The meal may well last for 3 hours or more and is much more than just the food. It is an evening's entertainment and a special experience as well.

I hope you enjoy it.

london
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Restaurant???

Brilliant. Thanks for replying. The Jules Verne it is then!!!!

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Restaurant???

>>The table is yours for the night<< ????? meaning ???

I was going to suggest Le Taillevent for oldfashioned, understated luxury, but of course it isn't as glamorous as the Eiffel Tower,

http://taillevent.com/le-restaurant

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,003 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Restaurant???

wow, the Jules Verne, That woman is in for a treat. Actually any star restaurant in France will give you an experience, but for a great dinner and a fabulous view you have made the right choice.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,173 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Restaurant???

GitteK, it is quite common in some places, especially America, for you to be presented with the bill and virtually asked to leave as soon as you have finished, so the table can be used for other customers. This is rare in France and doesn't happen at places like Jules Verne. They do ask you to select an arrival time, but that is not because they have several "sittings" but because they want to spread the load on the kitchen so everyone doesn't want their main course at 8.30.

At Guy Savoy, when we declined coffee and asked for the bill, the maitre d' said words to the effect of "But why are you leaving so soon? I do not need that table again until 11 o'clock tomorrow"

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Restaurant???

Lynn B: exactly !! That's why I wondered.

Throwing people out in Paris would be outrageously rude. Even bringing the bill uncalled for is borderline offensive, unless the waiter is just about to finish his shift. Then it's OK, because he wants the money on his stats.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,679 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Restaurant???

I noticed more and more restaurants in Paris now book 2 sittings for dinner.

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Restaurant???

Actually, in the US, one is often given the bill after dessert has been served or if dessert is declined, at which point one says, "No, thank you. I'd just like the check, please." It is NOT common to be "virtually asked to leave." However, meals in the US are not typically as leisurely as in Europe, except with large groups. Tables are typically turned over well within 2 hours, but by customer choice.