We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with pharmacy issue of a sensitive feminine nature

Oregon
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with pharmacy issue of a sensitive feminine nature

I am in Paris at this very moment, frustrated with not being able to find my usual products at a pharmacy or drugstore. I just wandered around Monoprix and didn't see anything similar ( I was looking near the feminine hygiene products). I don't want to get too descriptive on the forum, but the product I am looking for is clear and comes in a tube of about 4 ounces. I am a shy person and I don't speak French other than the polite phrases! So maybe writing something down in French and handing it to a pharmacist would work? Any suggestions would be so appreciated! Merci!!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
541 Reviews
from US$73.00*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
656 Reviews
from US$74.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,213 Reviews
from US$122.20*
Eiffel Tower and Louvre Museum...
821 Reviews
from US$124.70*
Florida
Level Contributor
17,359 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with pharmacy issue of a sensitive feminine nature

Can you locate a photo and description on the internet, print it and take it to a pharmacist? especially if you can get the list of 'ingredients' so he/she can match to something local. (if you can't print, maybe at least write it out)

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,646 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with pharmacy issue of a sensitive feminine nature

there are pharmacies on practically every block. Look for the green cross. And almost certainly a female clerk will step forward to help you in English.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,148 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with pharmacy issue of a sensitive feminine nature

What is this mystery product, may we have another hint?

If it's tampons, just ask for: "tampons hygiéniques" and if you want unscented it's "tampons non parfumés"

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,911 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with pharmacy issue of a sensitive feminine nature

If your "clear product" counts as medication, it will only be available at a pharmacy. If it's just a personal care item (as tampons and napkins are considered), you can also find it at a supermarket (pharmacies will have it, too, but it will cost more). Unfortunately the line between regulated medication and unregulated personal-care products can be a bit fuzzy, but anything you can find in a supermarket will also be at a pharmacy, albeit not necessarily with the same price tag.

In France, all medications and medical devices are sold only at pharmacies, even if they don't require a prescription. In Paris, pharmacies are very common and all are marked by a green cross outside. Pharmacists don't necessarily speak useful English, but many do.

When traveling abroad, you cannot afford to be "not too descriptive," otherwise you risk ending up with something very different from what you actually want. Say or write down exactly what you want, not "something of a sensitive feminine nature."

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
11,061 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with pharmacy issue of a sensitive feminine nature

Try 'crème intime'.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,359 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with pharmacy issue of a sensitive feminine nature

I think the vagueness was for our protection, not the pharmacist's. lol.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with pharmacy issue of a sensitive feminine nature

Lakes I'm not a woman but had three sisters over to visit recently.

One had a "sensitive" problem and was very impressed with both the help and the efforts at English in my local pharmacy.

They've seen it all (and more!!)...don't be shy

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,148 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with pharmacy issue of a sensitive feminine nature

Ah, maybe it's this:

vitalya.fr/…

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help with pharmacy issue of a sensitive feminine nature

You TA Destination Experts and frequent posters are just great! I am in awe of your willingness to undertake Herculean effort to help a fellow traveler out.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help with pharmacy issue of a sensitive feminine nature

My niece speaks fluent french and needed to buy some Tampons. She went to a pharmacy. The only other person there was a male pharmacist and she was too shy to ask him. The pharmacies are much smaller than ours in the US and she wandered around the small space hoping that a woman would appear. The pharmacist was very nice and kept asking if he could be of assistance.

Finally she gave in and went round and round trying to explain to him in french what the product looked like and what it was for ... he said - "Oh, you mean Tampons". Some brands/things are universal!

Lakes .. do you have a tube with you or do you remember the brand name and type ... write it down and give it to the pharmacist. Good Luck!