We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

apartment size

La Verne, California
Level Contributor
571 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
apartment size

Hello, it's hard for me to judge the size (in sq meters) of Paris apts. Can someone please help me convert to sq ft? OR How big of an apt. in sq meters do you recommend for a family of 4? Thanks so much!

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: apartment size

You can convert here:

metric-conversions.org/area/square-meters-to…

As to what is acceptable for a family of 4, well this is subjective. For me, I'd want a minimum of 40 m2 and would prefer larger. A lot depends on the age of the 4 people. Many one bedroom apartments have a sofabed in the living room where 2 people can sleep (the other two in the bedroom). This works for some people, not for others (who want two separate bedrooms for each couple).

If two of the group are children, younger than 12, the sofabed - one bedroom set-up works.

2. Re: apartment size

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 17:41
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,189 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: apartment size

Much depends on the beds and the configuration of the space and whether there are privacy issues.

If two people are sharing a fold out sofa, when unfolded, there goes all the floor space (usually). And, if a couple is used to a queen or king at home, they may not find a double bed comfortable.

Be sure to check for storage (closets, drawers...) unless you don't mind living out of suitcases, and also stepping over them.

And, consider seating in the living area and dining table. Is there seating for all four of you at either/both?

You have to carefully inspect photos of apartments and understand that the space you see is all there is - and rooms tend to appear far more spacious with minimal furnishings (and small furnishings), bare floors, etc.

But, any apartment truly suitable for four is going to be far more spacious and comfortable than a quad room in a hotel.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,822 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: apartment size

Not quite exact, but I just take the square meters x 10 to get an estimate of the square footage. In my world 40 sq. meters would be approx. 400 sq. feet.

North Caroiina
Level Contributor
995 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: apartment size

My family of four stayed in a 28 meter apartment for a week during a June visit. It was fine but we only slept there. I would not have wanted to stay there much more than a week or if we spent much down time there.

Though small, the 28 meters was much roomier than a hotel room.

La Verne, California
Level Contributor
571 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: apartment size

Thanks for the help. I know that it differs for all, but wanted to get an idea from some who know. Our girls will be 7 and 10 when we travel so the pullout couch may be what they sleep on. Obviously we want to get the biggest place we can (2 brs a plus) but the budget will help decide. We plan on a week in Paris, about 5 days in the Loire Valley, and about 5 days somewhere else. Thanks again.

La Verne, California
Level Contributor
571 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: apartment size

FrankMcB - what apt did you stay in? Which area and did you like it?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,284 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: apartment size

Don't forget that the kids may want to go to bed earlier than you, so having them on the couch may not be convenient. Means they end up in the bed and you get the couch.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,456 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: apartment size

number of rooms as well as meters matters -- look at the pictures and note particularly the table size, number of chairs, number of places to comfortably sit in the living room -- for 4 people

my husband and I like about 50 SqM minimum and won't go lower than 40 --

La Verne, California
Level Contributor
571 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: apartment size

Thanks again. Lynn - I read that somewhere before, and it's definitely something to think about. I guess we'll all hit the hay early or we can enjoy a late bottle of wine.