We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel base outside Paris for day trips?

MA
Level Contributor
943 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel base outside Paris for day trips?

We are going to spend four nights outside Paris and drive to Versailles, Vaux-le-Viconte, Giverny and Chartres. One day to visit each but we want to stay in one hotel or B&B for all four nights.

I am really having trouble coming up with something as I don't know the area. Any recommendations for a convenient town/village? Specific hotel, inn, B&B?

We just need clean and safe and reasonable comfort. Breakfast would be nice but not necessary. Willing to spend up to 150 euros per night if necessary.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,078 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel base outside Paris for day trips?

I might not be understanding the question, but I'm thinking if you want to stay outside Paris, you would choose one of your destinations as a base (like Giverny, Versailles, Chartres?). if not, why not chose Paris itself? You can certainly find lodging there for 150 euros.

MA
Level Contributor
943 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel base outside Paris for day trips?

I want a location somewhat convenient to all four places, altho I realize they are not very close to each other.

We are already spending ten days in Paris. This is also for a change of scene.

We will have a car for this leg of the trip.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,830 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel base outside Paris for day trips?

Rambouillet puts you in good proximity in between Versailles, Giverny and Chartres. Vaux-le-Vicomte is a bit further off but not too far and three out of four ain't bad.

http://www.rambouillet-tourism.com/

http://www.tourisme-valleedechevreuse91.com/

MA
Level Contributor
943 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel base outside Paris for day trips?

Sounds like something to look at. Any suggestions on places to stay? Thank you.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,078 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel base outside Paris for day trips?

Sorry--I totally get it now.

With 10 days in Paris, you could actually do some of the day trips from there. Versailles and Giverny are particularly easy, and Chartres not too far behind. That would give you a longer stay in a second destination.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,830 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel base outside Paris for day trips?

I have no specific recommendations but I gave you the link to the tourist office website and you'll find all the accommodation in town listed there.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel base outside Paris for day trips?

It would make more sense to stay in Paris, take a day trip to Giverny, another day trip to Versailles, then pick up a car in Versailles, drive to Chartre for the day, spend a night, then drive to Vaux le Vicomte, also Fontainebleau and Barbison, spending a night in that area.

Given your destinations for the four days, there's really no "central" spot for spending all four nights

Does your "change of scene" have to include where you sleep versus where you'll be going?

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
6,291 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel base outside Paris for day trips?

http://www.viamichelin.com is a very useful site for finding maps, hotels, restaurants etc. Rambouillet isn't badly situated, but apart from the château is a rather boring dormitory town. How about Chevreuse? - more upmarket and prettier surroundings.

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
6,291 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel base outside Paris for day trips?

If you visit Giverny, stop at La Roche Guyon - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Roche-Guyon

MD
Level Contributor
719 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel base outside Paris for day trips?

Just looking at a map and drawing a mental triangle, I see Anet, Ivry-la-Bataille, and Houdan, which might be possibilities. There's a very pleasant stretch along the D928 but I don't recall it as the kind of area with much need for B&Bs or hotels. We have never stayed in this area, just driven through and liked it, so can't make any particular suggestion for lodging.

But since the only suggestion you've gotten so far was FMT's suggestion of Rambouillet (and it does seem well located for your purposes), I'll throw out this idea: try searching Viamichelin and Gites-de-France for hotels and B&Bs using Anet or Ivry-la-Bataille as a base.

Anet is a town with a knockout chateau right in the middle. There are one or two small shopping streets and some half-timbered houses. I know nothing more about it than that it has some decent pastry shops.